Alex Smith traded to the Redskins

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    soup
    Participant

Oh well. There goes that dream. Unless we can get Cousins in an RG3 type deal we are screwed.

Schefter tweeted about Smith.

Freedom!!!

Dawgstyle
    Participant

In the latest episode of “Please God, don’t let them send me to Cleveland…”, the role of Jimmy Garoppolo will now be played by Alex Smith.

818 mph. 13,723 feet. 3 second burn.
    https://youtu.be/hy-3bb1Nqy0

mike barnes
    Participant

Looks like A.J. McCarron or maybe Tyrod Taylor yuck.

soup
    Participant

As more is coming out – a 3rd round pick and player to be named is what the deal was.

Freedom!!!

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

Guess the deal can’t be totally completed until after March. Still, after his comments earlier today, it wasn’t looking too good anyways.

Welp, who’s gonna jump on the Cousins short bus?

soup
    Participant

Guess the deal can’t be totally completed until after March. Still, after his comments earlier today, it wasn’t looking too good anyways.

If Cousins is an RG3/Mike Glennon type deal I’m all for it as long as we go QB #1. All in on Cousins? Hell no.

Freedom!!!

DawgSoldier
    Participant

What about Bringing back McCown? Just had a carreer for the jets. Bridge QB and is available. And you don’t need to Trade for him.

http://cloudassetserver.com/STL/posts/185/sp_04_976x0.jpg

GABrownsFan
    Participant

What about Bringing back McCown? Just had a carreer for the jets. Bridge QB and is available. And you don’t need to Trade for him.

That could work. He’d be a willing mentor to whoever we take in the draft, although we don’t know how much longer he wants to play. McCarron would work for me as well. If he turns into something more than a bridge-type QB, even better.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

As more is coming out – a 3rd round pick and player to be named is what the deal was.

Kendall Fuller. The Chiefs pulled down a third and a pretty good CB for a QB they no longer wanted. Not bad.

blump
    Participant

If Cousins is an RG3/Mike Glennon type deal I’m all for it as long as we go QB #1. All in on Cousins? Hell no.

I don’t think that’s a realistic possibility… I’d be all about it, but I think he’s going to get a nice, fat, long, guaranteed deal. I’d do it either way, but I think it’s going to be really tough/unlikely for us to sign Cousins.. even more so with Smith off the market.

blump
    Participant

Fuller was #1 on Bleacher Report’s rankings of the top slot defenders in 2017:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754253-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-slot-defenders-of-2017-season

Our guy Briean Boddy-Calhoun was #6 on the list, and the BR writers/scouts in the article weren’t happy with the way Greg Williams used him.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

I don’t think that’s a realistic possibility… I’d be all about it, but I think he’s going to get a nice, fat, long, guaranteed deal. I’d do it either way, but I think it’s going to be really tough/unlikely for us to sign Cousins.. even more so with Smith off the market.[/quote]

Best line I heard about Cousins’ impending free agency came from CBS Sports’ Will Brinson: “Cousins is about to make Scrooge McDuck money on the open market.”

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

I don’t think that’s a realistic possibility… I’d be all about it, but I think he’s going to get a nice, fat, long, guaranteed deal. I’d do it either way, but I think it’s going to be really tough/unlikely for us to sign Cousins.. even more so with Smith off the market.

Yeah hadn’t seen much, but I’m pretty sure Cousins wants to play for a contender…something along the lines of it not being all about the money. And this is just the shit the press is reporting. Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes?

Soup, I’m totally with you- we need to draft our guy. McCown sounds like a good player to bring back for that, but I just don’t see him coming back. Our options are getting pretty limited.

the dude
    Participant

Only soup would think that the best free angent on the market would sign a back door deal with Cleveland. What an idiot.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

Only soup would think that the best free angent on the market would sign a back door deal with Cleveland. What an idiot.

Soup speaks to the duality of life. He is both the most unrealistically optimistic person and the most frustratingly pessimistic person on our forum at the same time.

Ice
    Keymaster

This whole thread is sad clown.

soup
    Participant
    the dude
    Participant

Soup speaks to the duality of life. He is both the most unrealistically optimistic person and the most frustratingly pessimistic person on our forum at the same time.

You just slipped in with post of the month….. Congrats.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

“The Browns did offer one of their second-round draft picks to Kansas City for quarterback Alex Smith, according to a league source. But the four-year, $94 million contract that Washington gave Smith, who will be 34 this season, was not something the Browns were willing to do. The Browns have the first and fourth overall picks in the draft, and are likely to take a quarterback. They were interested in Smith, but Kansas City liked the draft pick and player they acquired, and Smith preferred the security of the long-term deal.”

Pat McManamon, ESPN Staff Writer

blump
    Participant
    blump
    Participant
    blump
    Participant

I want this on the record – Soup is my favorite internet personality of all time.

soup
    Participant

“The Browns did offer one of their second-round draft picks to Kansas City for quarterback Alex Smith, according to a league source. But the four-year, $94 million contract that Washington gave Smith, who will be 34 this season, was not something the Browns were willing to do. The Browns have the first and fourth overall picks in the draft, and are likely to take a quarterback. They were interested in Smith, but Kansas City liked the draft pick and player they acquired, and Smith preferred the security of the long-term deal.”
    Pat McManamon, ESPN Staff Writer

This makes no sense. Alex Smith had zero say in the trade. The contract portion means nothing

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

I want this on the record – Soup is my favorite internet personality of all time.

Soup is both my favorite and least favorite poster.

Ice
    Keymaster

Alex Smith had a say in his trade. He had 1 year left on his contract. Essentially by refusing to sign an extension if traded to Cleveland we’re trading for 1 year of Alex Smith. By agreeing to an extension with Washington they’re trading for 3+ years of Alex Smith. They were willing to offer more for 3+ years than we were for 1 year.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

I have to think, even though we are the lowly Browns, the Chiefs has feel at least a little bit more comfortable sending him out of conference as well. Same thing with Garapolo. It’s a small chance the move blows up in there face when their dealing with the Browns, but there’s basically no chance by sending him to the skins.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

Alex Smith had a say in his trade. He had 1 year left on his contract. Essentially by refusing to sign an extension if traded to Cleveland we’re trading for 1 year of Alex Smith. By agreeing to an extension with Washington they’re trading for 3+ years of Alex Smith. They were willing to offer more for 3+ years than we were for 1 year.

That’s the part that’s relevant. We only wanted him for 1 year, which is why we didn’t want to do the long term deal. The Browns weren’t willing to offer him the $94 million deal (rightly so) and that’s why they didn’t offer more and that’s why he went to the skins.

Smith had no say in this trade. He only has a say if the Browns offered him the same $94 million deal and he refused it, but the Browns weren’t willing to offer it, which is why they weren’t willing to offer as much in a trade as the skins.

Sidebar: how pissed would you be if you were a skins fan right now?

Shooter

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCK!

My head is going to explode I’m so mad.

There’s no choice but to move on but goddammit, this one stings. I really, genuinely thought the Browns were going to solidly be in the running for, and wind up getting, Alex Smith. What a kick to the balls.

I guess I should be used to it with this franchise though.

Kirk Cousins is not coming here. We’re not gonna pay him what he wants, and there’s just no way he’d agree to come here. He’s gonna be in either Denver, Arizona, Buffalo, or a in NY as a Jet.

I have no real idea what the browns can do from a vet QB standpoint now. McCarron possibly, but I doubt McCarron wants to go to a team where he clearly wouldn’t be viewed as a starter or possible future starter. We’d still take a QB top 4 with McCarron as a bridge, and I don’t think that’s what he’s looking for at all. He wants to play, and for a while. At least have the chance to compete for a job. I doubt he gets that here for any more than 1 or 2 years, I’m inclined to rule him out as a possibility.

We’re not gonna get McCown. We never should have gotten rid of him in the first place, but we did, and that bridge is burned.

It’s gonna wind up being someone from the Minnesota trio most likely. Hopefully not brittle Bradford.

Eli might get released by the Giants, but would never come here. He’d want to finish his career like his brother did, on a contender going for one more ring.

Ryan Tannehill is actually a possibility. He’s no face of a franchise, but he’d be a solid bridge QB.

Tyrod Taylor? Meh.

One name that may be surprising to be on the list but is a real possibility to be team-less soon is Blake Bortles. Jacksonville isn’t sold on him and his contract is up. Many in that org feel that they underachieved this year because of him, and won in spite of him. Fair or not, I dunno. He seemed to have a bounce-back year from last year. But, he’s still Blake Bortles.

I honestly have no other options that I can think of.

The thought of starting next season with Kizer, Cody Kessler and a rookie just absolutely terrifies me and guarantees another #1 pick.

I can’t even think about that right now.

Shooter

how pissed would you be if you were a skins fan right now?

Well Dan Snyder is their owner and they almost always make the worst decision possible, running a close 2nd to the Browns, so I’m sure they’re used to it lol.

Ice
    Keymaster

What a kick to the balls.

The next top vet on my list, and you guys aren’t gonna like it, is Sam Bradford. Yes he’s as fragile as a snowflake but does it really matter? We’re going to be begging for his backup in week 3 anyway so when he goes down for the year in week 4 at least he will have taught our kids something.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

The guy I would like to see? Brees.

Let’s face it…even if he were to leave the Saints (very unlikely), he isn’t coming to Cleveland.

But one can dream, though.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

One name that may be surprising to be on the list but is a real possibility to be team-less soon is Blake Bortles. Jacksonville isn’t sold on him and his contract is up. Many in that org feel that they underachieved this year because of him, and won in spite of him. Fair or not, I dunno. He seemed to have a bounce-back year from last year. But, he’s still Blake Bortles.

Saw earlier that Bortles contract for next year is gauranteed at $19 million IF he can’t pass a physical at the start of the new league year (March whatever). And, he had wrist surgery today or yesterday from an injury sustained during the season, so him not being able to pass a physical is a real possibility.

At $19 mil, Jax won’t cut him (because they’re not Sashi brown) so the Browns would have to swap picks and take his salary if they want him. So, in other words, hard pass. Hard, hard pass.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

The guy I would like to see? Brees.
    Let’s face it…even if he were to leave the Saints (very unlikely), he isn’t coming to Cleveland.
    But one can dream, though.

A thousand times yes, I would love that for as long as we couple get him, even though it’d probably only be for a year or two.

Then again, I’d love Miranda Kerr for as long as I could get her. Which, is just as likely as getting Brees.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

“The next top vet on my list, and you guys aren’t gonna like it, is Sam Bradford. Yes he’s as fragile as a snowflake but does it really matter? We’re going to be begging for his backup in week 3 anyway so when he goes down for the year in week 4 at least he will have taught our kids something.[/quote]

Signing Sam and then bringing in a backup like Fitzpatrick, Moore, or Stanton might just work. I just want to keep the our new QB off the field for at least a year. That scenario would probably mean the end for Kizer here, however (though I don’t think many on this board would be too upset with that).

Right now, depending on what happens with his appeal, AJ is my top choice. He might be interested in a one or two year deal if it means getting some starts under his belt.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

IMO McCown is the most realistic viable answer out there.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

Getting McCarron will likely depend on whether he’s considered a restricted or unrestricted. Think there’s a hearing for that later this month.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

Getting McCarron will likely depend on whether he’s considered a restricted or unrestricted. Think there’s a hearing for that later this month.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/cincinnati-bengals/quarterback/

According to this he is restricted

soup
    Participant

Due to the botched trade he filed a grievance against the league. He has a hearing Feb 15. He may end up a UFA

Freedom!!!

DawgSoldier
    Participant

Due to the botched trade he filed a grievance against the league. He has a hearing Feb 15. He may end up a UFA

Wasn’t aware of the grievance filed. Thanks for the info.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

His grievance actually isn’t related to the trade.

Back in his rookie season, he was injured and put on temporary or pup list or something. Anyway, when he was healthy, he was put on the active roster, but not with enough time left in the season to accrue a technical season for free agency purposes.

His greivance claims that he was healthy, and should’ve been activated sooner, and had he been activated when he was healthy, he would’ve accrued a season and would be an UFA this spring.

At least, that’s my understanding of the situation.

Shooter

Dawg E that is exactly correct.

His grievance actually isn’t related to the trade.

It mostly is though. He’s filing the grievance because he’s pissed off about the trade not happening and he wants to get the hell out of Cinci now.

I honestly believe that he really wanted to come to Cleveland because he loves Hue, and if given the opportunity would sign here.

soup
    Participant

Found an article. My bad – all the news talking about it hit the spotlight when the trade wa ruined by Sashi on purpose. Here’s what the grievence actually relates to:

“McCarron’s grievance dates back to his rookie season in 2014, when the Bengals drafted him in the fifth round. McCarron initially passed his post-draft physical, but the Bengals placed him on the non-football injury (NFI) list at the start of training camp due to a shoulder issue.”

Freedom!!!

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar