Baker has changed.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ice
    Keymaster

Last year his QB rating for the year was over 95. He started out the season strong but over the last 3 games he’s around 60. Similarly he started out the season being extremely accurate but he hasn’t hit 70% completion in a game since Oct 10th. Also especially during the last game we saw him literally running away from defenders instead of stepping up in the pocket.
    He’s playing scared and throwing less accurately.

Personally I don’t blame him. The only thing holding his left arm on his body is that brace. He’s held together by duck tape, chewing gum, and nerve blockers. I think he’s showing a hell of a lot of guts going out there in that condition and really putting his future career at risk by doing it. I’m sure some of you disagree and think he’s just showing his true self now and are ready to move on with another QB.

I guess we’ll see what happens when he comes back from the bye, playing against the exact same defense. Is he still running scared? Is he still missing open receivers?

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

I agree completely. The pump fake on the screen pass where he ultimately ended up fumbling stood out to me the most. The play was there, years 1-3 Baker let’s it rip, but he pulled it down.

I think his injuries have hurt his accuracy, and now he doesn’t have confidence in himself to make throws he used to make without thinking. I still think he can be the guy going forward, I just don’t know that we’re going to see it this year anymore.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

This coming weekend:
    Kenny Pickett of Pitt plays vs Wake Forest for the ACC title
    &
    Dismond Ridder of Cinci plays vs Houston for the AAC title

IMO AB needs to find a new QB.

http://cloudassetserver.com/STL/posts/185/sp_04_976x0.jpg

Ice
    Keymaster

Contract year for Mayfield.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

Hypothetically his 18.5 in cap space could be whiped out if he was to treaded.

Or a new QB could just sit a year

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

Hypothetically his 18.5 in cap space could be whiped out if he was to treaded.
    Or a new QB could just sit a year

Well likely be picking around 14-17 range, too soon to know for sure. Rather than take the 2nd/3rd best qb prospect in a weak class, I’d take Garrett Wilson if he’s there and give Baker every chance to succeed.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

This seems eerily reminiscent of when Drew Brees got hurt and San Diego decided they were better off moving on. They also had the benefit of a #1 pick with a generational prospect available, which we do not in this case.

Baker is beaten to shit and Stefanski can’t call plays to save his life. Giving up on him in these circumstances is insanity.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

He is 2-13 when the game comes down to the final drive where the Browns need to tie or take the lead to stay in or win the game.

I REALLY like Baker the guy. As a QB he’s a plus version of colt mccoy in the NFL.

I am ready for the Browns to move on from Baker. And I think they are. After the year he’s had, they aren’t extending him.

Ice
    Keymaster

MDP you read my mind about Brees. In fact I’d say Mayfield’s play style is almost a carbon copy of Brees.

He is beat the fuck up. You don’t let go of a guy just because he is beat the fuck up unless he doesn’t have toughness.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

MDP you read my mind about Brees. In fact I’d say Mayfield’s play style is almost a carbon copy of Brees.
    He is beat the fuck up. You don’t let go of a guy just because he is beat the fuck up unless he doesn’t have toughness.

In terms of size they’re very close, and their footwork is eerily similar as well. Both have fantastic accuracy and arms which are bigger than you’d assume from the types of throws they make. Both Brees and Mayfield are very patient at working through their progressions, and move very well in the pocket. They both seem more likely to spread the ball around and just find the open man on any given play, as opposed to QBs like Manning or (later career) Brady who prefer to develop immaculate chemistry with a particular receiver and trust them to get open.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

Ice he is beat the fuck up because he holds the ball to long unlike brees. Then when he throws a bad ball and gets an INT vs the texans. He goes all super manb wannabe and gets his non throwing shoulder busted.

the dude
    Participant

Personally, I have liked Baker.

But I am a realist and realize he cannot win when the game is on the line. This is extremely disappointing. I thought this year would be different.

I have been so hopeless for the last 10+ years. This hurts to see them so bad again. Might as well start the rebuild.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

soup
    Participant

I agree completely. The pump fake on the screen pass where he ultimately ended up fumbling stood out to me the most. The play was there, years 1-3 Baker let’s it rip, but he pulled it down.
    I think his injuries have hurt his accuracy, and now he doesn’t have confidence in himself to make throws he used to make without thinking. I still think he can be the guy going forward, I just don’t know that we’re going to see it this year anymore.

Hunt doesn’t run a clean route and hits the OL. Watch the play from behind and watch Hunt. Baker MUST hold onto the ball – however there’s no one to throw to bc Hunt timing got thrown off so he had no choice. Here’s Kurt Warners breakdown of half 1.

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

Great analysis. OBJ watched that and said “I bet you miss me now, Cleveland.”

No we don’t OBJ.

That was DPJ’s worst game for us. Before this game he was absolutely money every time the ball went in his direction. Also worth noting that Hollywood Higgins has fallen lower in the depth chart.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

“This seems eerily reminiscent of when Drew Brees got hurt and San Diego decided they were better off moving on. They also had the benefit of a #1 pick with a generational prospect available, which we do not in this case.”

Great video on the similarities between Brees and Baker.

csudawg

I really think we should give him some fairness about how we judge him. He’s hurt and has been all season. He’s had missing tackles and RB’s hurt.

Ill take the 2 years ive seen before this one and bank on that.

Christ Follower, Husband, Daddy, Browns fan. @seangajda on twitter. Writer of Pick 6 +1.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

The team has had a lot of injuries.
    This is Bakers 4th year. He is under contract for next year and we can franchise him after that if necessary. There is no reason to give up on him under these conditions.
    Tough seasons happen. Don’t blow it all up and start over. The great teams don’t do that, they get through it and are better for it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar