Browns sign Clowney

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

The Browns signed Clowney, 28, to a one-year deal on Wednesday worth $8 million — with incentives that increase it to $10 million.

I like the deal but it shouldn’t stop the Browns from drafting a DE in the first round if the one they want is available.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

They’ve had a great off-season so far.

Curious how many players they actually draft, as their roster gets more and more loaded. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 4 of their 9 picks used to either move up or traded for future picks.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

I agree about possible draft trades, either moving up or gathering more ammunition for future years.

In signing Clowney and Takk McKinley, they definitely upgraded the DL. The defense should make a significant improvement this year, much like the offense did last year.

The team does need to make the playoffs again this year to prove that last year was no fluke.

I listened to part of Clowney’s press conference and he said part of the reason he didn’t sign last year was the losing. He also said that his agent really didn’t want him here (his agent was Bus Cook, he is Garrett’s agent) and didn’t schedule a visit. This year he has a new agent and he recommended he come in for a visit.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

David Njoku
    Chris Hubbard
    Sheldon Richardson

One or more of those players are going to be moved or restructured to create more cap space as a result of this move. It’s necessary, and I’m alright with that. I’m far happier with having a talented roster and little cap space than I was having no talent and pules of cap space.

FYI, my money is on Njoku being traded on draft day. I’m not sure if we save any cap space by outright cutting up, but I know a trade would save his whole 6 mil salary.

mike barnes
    Participant

I’d explore a draft day trade of Njoku for a top flight corner or as part of a deal to move up and grab one of the CB’s coming out this year.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

Njoku is scheduled to make $6,013,000 this year and will be an unrestricted free agent after the season. There is no way he restructures.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

Njoku is scheduled to make $6,013,000 this year and will be an unrestricted free agent after the season. There is no way he restructures.

Completely agree, Richardson is the one I was thinking could restructure.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

AB & Depo moneyball’d the contract and did some math magic so no restructures are needed.

http://cloudassetserver.com/STL/posts/185/sp_04_976x0.jpg

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

I’d love to see Richardson get a contract extension, regardless. Especially with Obi gone. He’s been an anchor on our line when everyone else’s health and availability have been in constant flux the past couple years. He always seems to hit another gear in games right when we need it. He’s 31, but there’s no reason to think he can’t start for another two or three years.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Lol, or they cut him. Whichever.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

Lol, or they cut him. Whichever.

Yeah, I didn’t see that one coming. Outright release? At this point? Kind of cold.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Seriously. No question this costs dude a few million, and timing wise it limits our draft options.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

I believe the Browns are going to be drafting the BPA who fits our scheme in the first round. IMO it could be a DT, DE, CB or S. Possibly even a LB. I don’t think this limits us at all.
    Richardson’s replacement is already on the roster. Billings opted out last year and will be starting this year. Plus we signed a DT in free agency. Clowney can also be moved inside too. I believe we are covered.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

If we take a safety or a CB in the first I’ll lose my shit. A LB or defensive lineman HAS to be the pick.

But, the thing you have to remember is Billings, Jackson, and Clowney are all on one year deals, so we have ONE DT under contract for 2021. That will almost certainly need to be addressed early in the draft.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

If we take a safety or a CB in the first I’ll lose my shit. A LB or defensive lineman HAS to be the pick.
    But, the thing you have to remember is Billings, Jackson, and Clowney are all on one year deals, so we have ONE DT under contract for 2021. That will almost certainly need to be addressed early in the draft.

Contract extensions do happen as well. SO there is more than one way to address things. Till AB does some stupid stuff I am giving him the ebenefit of the doubt as this is the best roster I have seen as a Browns fan.

http://cloudassetserver.com/STL/posts/185/sp_04_976x0.jpg

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

Regardless of who we draft, I hope its the BPA. Just because we have DTs on one year deals doesn’t mean we have to draft one in the first round. Teams get in trouble when they start reaching for players instead of drafting the board.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar