Drafting a QB?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ice
    Keymaster

In your opinion, should the Browns draft a QB in this upcoming draft, and how highly should we draft one?

Should we package our two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder to move up to a top 5 draft pick to get one? Should we just grab the guy that falls to us in the 1st? Should we get a decent 2nd-3rd round QB? Or should we wait until the later rounds and give Manziel the ball in 2015?

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Without having done a ton of draft research yet, it really seems to me that if the do want to draft a QB, they’ll need to trade up into the top 5, or more likely find a way into the top two to get one of the “stud” QBs in this draft, of whom there are likely only two. And that’s overlooking a ton of character issues for Winston. It’s tough to see a scenario where Tampa Bay and Tennessee, whom are locked into the top two picks, don’t draft Mariota and Winston 1-2.

I simply have not seen anyone who screams “NFL Pro Bowler” to me beyond those two. And would be worth one of our (likely) top 15 picks. Given the state of our roster, it makes no sense to draft a guy in the mid rounds who will just add more uncertainty to the position, and in all likelihood develop into another “okay” quarterback who guides us to a couple 7 or 8 win years.

There’s really not a good option to fix it this offseason, barring some magic by Farmer. I think it’s most likely that we’ll enter camp with Manziel, Shaw, and a free agent. See if Johnny can turn it around, and if he looks like he did in his game and a half this year, we’ll be in for an 0-16 season with the #1 pick.

Ice
    Keymaster

Very well said MDP and I agree with you on almost all counts. If there WERE a QB that we were able to trade up for, I’d do it but like you said I don’t think there’s an opportunity for that.

As an FSU alum I’ve seen plenty of Winston and I’ll tell you this…. IMO he’s nothing but a late round project. He’s a very good college QB surrounded by the best team in college football. Even ignoring the off field issues is he one of the best 32 QB’s on earth? Not even close. He’s VERY like Manziel with a more live arm and a little less speed, and much less character. He isn’t a good person, and he’s not a hard worker. He’s survived on talent alone without putting much effort into it. As far as off the field issues, this guy is an absolute shitstorm. He’s not intelligent enough to make good decisions off the field. He’s Maurice Clarett just waiting to happen. I’d peg him as a 3rd round talent with free agent intangibles.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Here’s the only wrench I can really throw: what would you be willing to trade for Cutler? I’m not much of a fan, but it’s at the point where he’s almost underrated.

durakbane
    Participant

Get a damn quarterback! Draft 19 of them if you have to. Solve this problem…ugh!!!!!!!!! And once you figure out who the QB is, leave the coaching staff and offensive system alone.

Sure a team can be turned around quickly…but not in Cleveland. Public opinion still favors Farmer and Pettine. There are not any torches and pitchforks at the gate. Let them develop both themselves and the team.

I’m tired of the turnover and don’t really see it happening this year (except for possibly a better opportunity for a coach elsewhere)…lets see what “Year 2” does.

Ice
    Keymaster

Correction @durakbane, there’s always one pitchfork. @Soup is always ready to fire a coach.

the dude
    Participant

either way, we need a qb. what we have on our staff right now is not good enough. conner shaw just about outplayed both of those bozoo’s.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

I’m not sure what happened with Hoyer, but someone somewhere figured him out, then called 30 other teams to let them in on his little secret. Dude was more than just serviceable at the start of the season, then…well, I don’t know what happened but you see the end result. And I just don’t know that whatever was lost can be found again. I personally believe he lost his mojo when we lost Mack, in turn lost our running game, which left him exposed. I’ll leave it to Soup to look up the stats.

JFF…well, it was pretty damn obvious that he wasn’t prepared to play. Whether that was on him (most likely) or the coaches (unlikely) is debatable, but he looked like a cornered fox while he was on the field. He did some shit in college, and every NFL player knows it…but 7 quarters is hardly enough time to evaluate whether or not that’s gonna translate to this level. And if he intends to be a QB in this league, he’d better start by taking it a hell of a lot more seriously than he has, because the QB grinder that is Cleveland is an unforgiving machine. Grow the fuck up or get the fuck out.

Oh, and some bad news when it comes to getting a different QB on the roster…our options aren’t looking good at all. When it comes to the draft and free agency, we may very well have to focus on other weaknesses (like our front 7) to make up for not having good QB play. Hopefully in doing so, we don’t take a step back next season…and considering our brutal schedule next year…ugh.

Future ain’t looking too bright.

BillWunkle
    Participant

If the Browns think that Johnny Manziel is the team’s future, then they are gravely mistaken. Those of you who know me from elsewhere know that I didn’t want Johnny in the first place. When the Browns traded up with Philadelphia, I was certain that it was for Teddy Bridgewater. Then when the Commissioner strolled to the podium and called Manziel’s name, I was in shock and disbelief. Let me ask you one question . . . How good would Teddy look in a Browns uniform now? I guaran-fricking-tee that our QB situation would be in a LOT more capable hands than what it’s in now.

Let’s face it, folks . . . Brian Hoyer is GONE. He’ll sign on as a backup somewhere else, and – unless Ray Farmer pulls out some fairy dust this offseason – we’re pretty much STUCK with Johnny, and we’ll be drafting somewhere in the top five in 2016 . . . maybe even first overall.

Am I going mad, or did the word THINK escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic landmass!

Ice
    Keymaster

I don’t disagree with you @billWunkle. I had the same feeling when we drafted Manziel that Dolphins fans had when they drafted Ted Ginn Jr with a top 10 pick. Manziel lacks the maturity to be an NFL QB. In just a couple years Johnny Football will be known as Johnny Paperorplastic.

The one ray of light is that EVERYONE, from the owner to the coaches to the veteran players has publicly put him on notice. The message has been sent as loudly as possible and if he hasn’t heard it then he’s never gonna hear it.

the dude
    Participant

I’m not sure what happened with Hoyer, but someone somewhere figured him out, then called 30 other teams to let them in on his little secret. Dude was more than just serviceable at the start of the season, then…well, I don’t know what happened but you see the end result. And I just don’t know that whatever was lost can be found again. I personally believe he lost his mojo when we lost Mack, in turn lost our running game, which left him exposed. I’ll leave it to Soup to look up the stats.

It is pretty simple and Anderson was the same thing as other Cleveland QB’s have also had too. As soon as there is tape on a player, they are exposed and teams are professionals and know how to stop the best of the best.

There is a reason the Brady, Manning, and Rodgers spend endless hours on the practice field and perform on Sundays. They know guys watch film all day and all night of their team and them in particular. The talent in the NFL is more close than what anyone here thinks. When a guy like the crow comes out of nowhere and plays well just shows you that anyone can fill positions or how guys like Richardson was one of the most talented player ever in college but no transition over to the pro….he came to cleveland where no one works late or gets up early.

JFF…well, it was pretty damn obvious that he wasn’t prepared to play. Whether that was on him (most likely) or the coaches (unlikely) is debatable, but he looked like a cornered fox while he was on the field. He did some shit in college, and every NFL player knows it…but 7 quarters is hardly enough time to evaluate whether or not that’s gonna translate to this level. And if he intends to be a QB in this league, he’d better start by taking it a hell of a lot more seriously than he has, because the QB grinder that is Cleveland is an unforgiving machine. Grow the fuck up or get the fuck out.

sorry, I disagree – I can tell if you have it or you don’t right away when it comes to skill positions. Yes, JFF could prove me wrong but I would say it is a 5% chance. His arm is really, really bad. He may work hard off season and come out and play well against the first 3-4 teams he plays against – but when his tenancies start showing up on film, he is done…

Oh, and some bad news when it comes to getting a different QB on the roster…our options aren’t looking good at all. When it comes to the draft and free agency, we may very well have to focus on other weaknesses (like our front 7) to make up for not having good QB play. Hopefully in doing so, we don’t take a step back next season…and considering our brutal schedule next year…ugh.
    Future ain’t looking too bright.

this team is relatively solid and can compete. A qb is desperately needed. i hate jay cutler and don’t want anything to do with him….but he still may be the best qb since 1999 on our roster

Hue Jackson is a loser.

BillWunkle
    Participant

em>Here’s the only wrench I can really throw: what would you be willing to trade for Cutler? I’m not much of a fan, but it’s at the point where he’s almost underrated.</

AS far as Jay Cutler is concerned . . . He couldn’t get the job done with Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery as WR’s, Martellus Bennett as his starting TE and Matt Forte as his starting RB. What makes anyone think that Cutler can get it done with the “supporting cast” in Berea?

Am I going mad, or did the word THINK escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic landmass!

Ice
    Keymaster

The starting QB for 2015 likely isn’t on the roster right now, and it’s probably going to be a not-so-exciting or not-so-successful vet. Hoyer, Cutler, Cousins, Orton, etc… Out of that group Cutler might be the best. I’m not a Cutler fan at all, I hate the guy and his stupid dumb expressions but if he’s cut he may be our best option.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar