Expectations for Manziel's first start?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ice
    Keymaster

What do you think we should expect from Johnny Football against the Bengals?
    What kind of stats would you consider a success, and what would you call a failure?

The Bengals will be looking for blood after the whooping we put on them last time.

soup
    Participant

If we limit him between 20-25 throws I see 1 in and 2 rush TDS and a win.

If we repeat the same awful play calling the last 4 games I see 43 attempts, 0 TDS and 4 ints

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

Well lets focus on what you see as success for Manziel, not what you see as success in playcalling.

For me to be in any way excited he has to have better than 50% completion, better than 6.5 YPA, and a TD/INT ratio better than one. I’d like to see over 200 yards passing as well, but if he meets those other marks I won’t necessarily call it a failure.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

I’m going to be a little less statistically specific but for one category, because I expect to see a huge improvement on third downs. A failure to sustain drives is, in a simplified way, what cost Hoyer his job.

Beyond that, I want to see:

if he’s smart about his running. He liked taking hits in college; have the coaches gotten him to start sliding or going out of bounds?

Does he use his feet to extend plays and does he “run” his receivers open? Or does he just give up on plays and run for it?

Does he get all of his offense involved? Or does he just lock onto Gordon?

How do his teammates respond to him? And does he loom the part of a “leader” during the game?

soup
    Participant

@Ice I understand why you are asking me that, my problem is they are 100% hinged upon one another. That said – to answer what I’ll see as a success:

60% completion
    7 YPA
    no worse than a -1 turnover from him

A failure? That’s really going to depend on watching the game. I can’t statistically come up with a failure. Meaning, if Gordon is in the wrong spot and the ball is picked. If he throws a perfect pass that bounces off the WR hand and it’s picked. If we have 5 drops, etc.

I want to see him with at least 2 progressions before running.

I want to see him take 1st downs (if he has an open WR and an easy lane to run – I want him to run and just take the first down so to speak – assuming the guy open isn’t open for an easy TD)

I want to see how he handles the blitz — you know he’ll see a ton of them. Will he scramble like a college fool backwards ala Buffalo and fumble? Will he throw it away? Will he avoid pressure while keeping his eyes down field?

Want to see his actual pocket presence (step up rather than out into a sack, etc.)

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

A failure? That’s really going to depend on watching the game. I can’t statistically come up with a failure. Meaning, if Gordon is in the wrong spot and the ball is picked. If he throws a perfect pass that bounces off the WR hand and it’s picked. If we have 5 drops, etc.

WTF, Soup not relying on stats and instead actually watching the game? Ok which one of you jokers signed up and called yourself Soup just to confuse me?

soup
    Participant

@Ice Your mom

Freedom!!!

the dude
    Participant

I don’t have high expectations and why would i with a rookie qb who has not seen much reps with the offense halfway through december?

they are looking to put him on the field and get a feel. he has a full offseason to prepare. I have high expectations next year no doubt.

I certainly hope they don’t set him up to fail by expecting him to throw 40+ times.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

soup
    Participant

I don’t have high expectations and why would i with a rookie qb who has not seen much reps with the offense halfway through december?
    they are looking to put him on the field and get a feel. he has a full offseason to prepare. I have high expectations next year no doubt.
    I certainly hope they don’t set him up to fail by expecting him to throw 40+ times.

Perfectly stated

Freedom!!!

durakbane
    Participant

I expect flashes of excitement and frustration. Hopefully, we can get the team back on track and sweep the series against the Bengals.

I think we should expect to see better passes from Manziel (than Hoyer) or else we are looking for a QB in the draft. I think the frustration will come watching his decision making. At this point, I expect the game to be a little too fast for him..which is too be expected. He’ll rely on his legs a bit too much when the pressure starts getting to him.

I want to see some resilience and better touch on his throws (than Hoyer.) Then in the coming weeks, I want to see better decisions and command at the line of scrimmage. In other words, progression and development.

Ice
    Keymaster

I would say no matter how low you set the bar, Manziel managed to crawl under it.

soup
    Participant

Yep. I thought he’d struggle – but this was inexcusable. I don’t know that he could consistently get 100 yards a game passing.

Freedom!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar