failure was not an option

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BillWunkle
    Participant

failure was not an option

During the NFL Combine, the Cleveland Browns front office made it known to quarterback Baker Mayfield that, if a franchise quarterback were to become available, the Browns were going to pursue making that acquisition. It was about that time when the Texas grand jury dismissed all criminal charges against Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, relating to the accusations of sexual misconduct from 22 women. Then earlier this week, it was reported that the Cleveland Browns were one of four teams interested in acquiring Watson in a trade; along with the New Orleans Saints, the Atlanta Falcons and the Carolina Panthers. Since Watson is a Georgia native who played his college ball at Clemson, the Falcons and Panthers were considered by many to be the front runners, with the Saints legitimately in the mix; leaving Cleveland to take up the rear.

After hearing the news on Thursday morning that DeShaun Watson personally called the Cleveland Browns to inform the club that they were no longer in the running for his services; my first thought was, “Okay . . . Now that that’s over, where do we go from here?” Well, Browns GM Andrew Berry didn’t exactly see it that way, because he kept the lines of communication open and negotiated a contract with Watson’s agent that was so big and so innovative that Watson just simply could not say no. In case you’ve been living under a rock these past few days, Watson’s contract is for $230 Million over five years, including a $45 Million signing bonus, making his actual 2022 salary a mere One Million Dollars.

As for how much compensation goes which way, here’s the breakdown. The Texans will receive the Browns first round pick this year, their first and third in 2023, and their first and fourth in 2024. The Browns will receive the Texans fifth round pick in 2024 in addition to the 26 year old franchise quarterback. Somehow, Berry was able to pull off the trade without the Browns losing any personnel currently on their roster. How did that happen? No other team in NFL history has given up so much draft capitol in exchange for a starting quarterback, and no other NFL franchise has guaranteed 100% of a five-year contract. This is a contract that left General Managers from the other 31 NFL front offices pulling out their hair and shouting expletives. It’s a contract that will become the gold standard for any future franchise quarterback.

So . . . now that that’s all over, where do we go from here? The Browns have a disgruntled quarterback in Baker Mayfield to trade. As to where the likely landing points could be; my best guesses are Indianapolis, Seattle, Carolina and Miami. The Colts don’t have a first round pick this year, and they’ve already washed their hands clean from a one-and-done Carson Wentz experiment. Carolina cannot be happy with what Sam Darnold has been able to deliver in his first year, so that could be a destination. Seattle has already received a young quarterback in Drew Lock as part of the Russell Wilson trade to Denver, and they’re posturing to have people think that they’re happy with Lock as their starting quarterback. It also seems that the Dolphins have been looking to replace Tua Tagovailoa ever since his first year as a starter was wrapped up, so who knows? We only know one thing for certain, and that it we’ll find out when it happens.

And what about the rest of the roster? Even with the addition of Amari Cooper, the Browns still need to bolster the WR room. Is it possible that the Browns are able to re-sign Jarvis Landry at a reduced price? Would a 27 year-old Will Fuller float your boat? Who knows? The release of disappointingly unproductive Austin Hooper signals a need to add apiece to the TE group. There are a number of free agents at that position between 26 and 29 that could be signed to fill out the room. The D-line also needs help at tackle and end. Other than that, the Browns are pretty much good to go. So, where do they find the pieces to fill the holes? The addition of Watson could very well make Cleveland a destination place for free agents, and could particularly help with the Browns efforts to re-sign Jadeveon Clowney to a two-year deal. Does it make sense for Cleveland to bring back Malik Jackson or Sheldon Richardson? I don’t have the answer to that, but perhaps an Eddie Goldman or Vernon Butler could serve the team better.

And then there are the legal issues that remain with Watson. The civil suits from no less than twenty two women for sexual misconduct cannot be ignored and must be addressed. All through this fiasco, Watson has maintained professing his innocence, but when you’re talking about this many women coming forward, you have to raise an eyebrow. How long it will take for Watson to get this episode of his life behind him is anyone’s guess. This is the part of the deal that makes me feel uneasy. Between the civil suits and the likely impending suspension, it’s something that we’d rather not have to deal with, but deal with it we must. Suffice to say that, if you’re looking to Hollywood or professional sports to provide the answers to morality issues, you’re looking in the wrong places.

So, what do I think about the trade? From a talent standpoint, it was move that needed to be made. From a morality standpoint, I hate that aspect, but it will have to come to a conclusion sooner or later. How that affects the Cleveland Browns and their 2022 season remains to be seen. One way or another, closure is something that all parties need.

Am I going mad, or did the word THINK escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic landmass!

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

So much has happened in relation to trading for Watson. They traded Keenum for a 7th rounder. Baker is sure to be traded at some point (hope we get a decent pick for him but I am no longer thinking that it will be a first rounder based on a lot of things I’ve read.

The Browns signed Jacoby Brissett to a one year deal. I couldn’t find the financials on that one.

It is being reported that the Browns are in contact with Landry’s agents about resigning him. While his production didn’t match the $16M he was due to make, in my opinion, he put his heart and soul out there and helped change the culture. Not sure what his worth is but he may be more open to returning to the Browns with Watson at QB. The more times I read about money, the more I realize that maybe I don’t have a clue about a players worth anymore especially after the Watson contract.

Maybe they offer Clowney enough to come back since we are in a better position to win with Watson at QB.

BillWunkle
    Participant

From what I’ve heard, it’s still possible and plausible that both Jarvis Landry and Jadeveon Clowney re-sign with Cleveland. If I were to guess which one would sign first, I’d have to say Jarvis at about 6-8 mil. Clowney is going to take his good sweet time to check out the market and then likely sign for whatever team shows him the most money. Reports are that the Browns have a 2-year 24 mil offer on the table. We’ll just have to see where it goes from here. My guess is that Clowney won’t sign any contract in time for OTA’s. That’s been the way he operates most of the time.

whoever the Browns are able to sign in free agency will be a direct result of having Watson in the fold. I find it ironic that these allegations didn’t surface until sometime after Watson told Houston’s front office that he wanted out. Conspiracy theorist? Perhaps, but the cynic in me can’t help but think that it’s not a mere coincidence.

And then there’s Baker. Who trades for him and what the Browns are able to get for him is anyone’s guess at this point.

Am I going mad, or did the word THINK escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic landmass!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar