(First) Manziel Time

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    the dude
    Participant

I think its time guys. After the last 4 weeks (or even the season with this in mind), I do not have faith in Hoyer getting us to the playoffs let alone winning us a Super Bowl.

Can you honestly say to yourself without laughing that Hoyer is going to out perform any of the top 10 elite qbs or even the top 20?

No clue if Manziel is the answer – but here is the thing – we don’t know until we try. Do we waste another year next year without any clue how this will play out without drafting another qb in the second or third round as a potential starter if Manziel fails miserably?

Guys I think its time – no need to keep riding this train.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

I somewhat agree, but I think you wait a couple games. Give Hoyer the opportunity to run the offense with Gordon and (hopefully) Cameron, so he has some targets who can legitimately fight for the ball downfield. If we’re siting at .500 two weeks from now, then the coaches should strongly consider putting in Manziel vs Indy (a surprisingly bad defense, with a home crowd in a game which he can’t really lose (because nobody will really expect us to win).

But I do agree it’s time to start considering the future, we simply aren’t deep enough with talent to overcome the latest wave of injuries. Playoffs are pretty unrealistic.

the dude
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, last week the receivers were trash and no way you place the blame on Hoyer. As a spectator though, I can clearly see Hoyer is not and will not be a long term successful starter in the NFL. It really is too bad. The guy has great heart and I think he works really hard.

I will be interested to see if there is a qb change in 2 weeks. If we lose the next two, I think it has to happen.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

I don’t think a QB change is at all warranted at this point. Hoyer has played well and this is his team. If we want to re-evaluate the position we can do it in the offseason.

the dude
    Participant

can you say though, Hoyer will win us a playoff game? or a super bowl? the goal is not to play “well” and have a team, but to play better than the rest and get us to the promise land.

this team has talent, but again lacks at QB.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

soup
    Participant

I disagree. You have to remember that he has had multiple last second drives for wins this year. He’s also been playing without his top 2 targets for the majority of the year. We are 6-4 and he’s not the reason for the 4 losses.

On the flip side, they said a couple games ago they asked about Manziel and the coaches told the announcers he’s not going through all his reads. Only half the field.

If we drop 2 in a row I’m all for the switch. But not at 6-4 without his targets.

Freedom!!!

the dude
    Participant

New board, similar tags – hopefully this works 🙂

I disagree. You have to remember that he has had multiple last second drives for wins this year. He’s also been playing without his top 2 targets for the majority of the year. We are 6-4 and he’s not the reason for the 4 losses.

I can agree with this. However, I don’t know how responsible he is for our 6 wins either. Tim Tebow had a ton of end of the game drives in which the Bronco’s won. they also had similar talent as we do. Now Gordon is the man. We will see how this works out.

On the flip side, they said a couple games ago they asked about Manziel and the coaches told the announcers he’s not going through all his reads. Only half the field.

not that I am going to argue or disagree with the coaches and “what the told announcers”….but coaches say a ton of bullshit….how do we know how much he is practicing….shit they have what like 2 practices a week at this time to limit injuries? guys hit the bike and the tape room…..that is what is happening this time of the year.

of course, the coaches have done a good job too this year of the “backup qb being the story”

If we drop 2 in a row I’m all for the switch. But not at 6-4 without his targets.

understandable. i wanted to be first on this forum 🙂

also, i dont think we are a playoff team by any means. so creating the thought process may not be such a bad or unacceptable thing. if we go 6-6 why not right?

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

I’ll say this: Hoyer is the best QB the Browns have had in 20 years. Can I see Hoyer leading our team to the playoffs? Yes. We’re already on track to put up a hell of a fight to get there. Is Hoyer going to singlehandedly will our team to a Superbowl like Manning or Brady? Hell no. He’ll need the whole team to step up. Plenty of other guys have ‘led’ their teams to Superbowls without being the best QB’s in the league…. the Seahawks come to mind. Hoyer plays smart; no turnovers but still pushes the ball down field. That’s what this team needs. Our entire offense is predicated on not asking the QB to do too much. When we do ask him to do too much (such as last week) everything breaks down. But when we focus on the run and Hoyer is able to mix it up this offense can be terrific and plenty good enough to make it to the big game.

soup
    Participant

The Dude,

I see where you are coming from, however I disagree on the talent level. Tebow was surrounded by superior talent (up through the first 10 games). Remember – Demarious Thomas is the guy who caught the playoff OT pass from Tebow. He also had Eric Decker. They also really did nothing but run.

On the rest I can’t disagree with. We just see slight differences. I’m more with the way Ice put it.

In reality there’s only a small handful of elite NFL QBs:

Aaron Rodgers
    Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Big Ben
    Andrew Luck
    ?

Freedom!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar