Game Balls and Goats vs. Baltimore

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    soup
    Participant

Goats first because we lost.

Officials – I’m getting tired of the mandated cheating against Cleveland. It’s getting ridiculous. McCown gives himself up and an untouched DE jumps on him over 1 second later and there’s no call. That is finable and an unquestionable personal foul.

Pryor throws the ball to the official and a kneeling DB starts to get up and the ball hits him – they huddle and make up a fake penalty that sealed the victory.

Coleman – while that penalty was plainly moronic – the fact they the officials CLEARLY SAW SMITH PUNCH HIM BACK AND LET IT GO is clear cut cheating by the officials. That should’ve been off-setting and the play stands because it was after the play.

BEfore HAden got pissed and took it back with football Karma – calling him for illegal contact while Steve Smith is pushing him down the field is – once again – clearly officials cheating. That was handfighting in press coverage that happens non stop.

The big 3rd down “catch” by the Ravens where the ball clearly hit the ground and moved back up into his chest is NOT A CATCH. The ground moved the football.

*(the asterics is being that I put the game through my computer to the TV part of the right side of my screen could be cut off) – BUT – there was NOT indisputable evidence that Coleman stepped out before his catch.

Corey Coleman – I was all set to give him a game ball. He FINALLY impressed me at WR – caught with his hands for the first time all year and played like a #1 pick…….until 15 yards away from the play he cost us 3 points with a moronic – idiotic – unforgivable personal foul.

Special Teams – time to fire the coordinator. A missed FG, a blocked XP resulting in 2 points for the opposition, actually being dumb enough to kick to HEster on the first kickoff. The list goes on and on. Terrible.

Offensive line – putrid. No other explanation needed. McCown is lucky he’s alive.

Cameron Erving – he’s awful. At best he’s a desparation back up utility guy.

Game Balls:

Joe Haden. He only really got beat by Smith once. IT took a push off that wasn’t called mixed with a diving catch to do it.

Crowell – well done considering he had zero blocking.

Freedom!!!

the dude
    Participant

I agree with Soup on all. McCown deserves a gameball today too. Poor offensive line blocking and he stood in there. If it was still manziel today we would have been seeing a 3 qb. I am not a fan of mccown, but at least he didn’t give up and he did everything to stay in the game and it is quite questionable if he should have.

Officials once again dictate another game. These guys every week should have random lie detector tests whether they are receiving money from outside sources. It is unreal that these guys can dictate a game so much.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

soup
    Participant

I debated on giving McCown a game ball. The only reason I didn’t was the pick at the end of half 1 which resulted in 3 going the other way before the half.

But absolutely he’s the toughest – no quit player on the team.

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

Additional game ball notes:
    Kindred – Fantastic plays all day long.
    DeMario Davis – Awesome tackling, smart plays
    Haden was running the ratbirds WR’s routes for them all day long. What a game.
    If we’re giving McCown a game ball for toughness, then we need to send one to RG3 for last week too.
    Duke – His pass blocking was amazing. I saw at least 4 times during the game he picked up a blitzing LB and shut him down single-handedly.

Additional goats notes:
    Pryor – yeah it was an iffy taunting call but he’s gotta be smarter than that. From the first angle I would have thrown a flag on it too.
    Erving – Probably the highest scoring guy on our team, and not in a good way.
    Refs – At least make it look like you’re not completely in the tank for one of the teams. Call a non-important one our way to throw us off a little next time.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

Can we give Erving a couple more?? He just can’t find enough ways to hurt this team. Just when you think he can’t find another way, he gets hurt and costs the Browns their last timeout on a dumb dive to the turf.

Just can’t say enough about how bad he is.

the dude
    Participant

Can we give Erving a couple more?? He just can’t find enough ways to hurt this team. Just when you think he can’t find another way, he gets hurt and costs the Browns their last timeout on a dumb dive to the turf.
    Just can’t say enough about how bad he is.

he was sad to see gilbert go as gilbert was the worst player on this team. he really sucks.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

the dude
    Participant

Additional goats notes: Pryor – yeah it was an iffy taunting call but he’s gotta be smarter than that. From the first angle I would have thrown a flag on it too.

there was a play earlier in the game where the ravens tight end through a ball behind him in to another browns player. i thought to myself, isn’t that a flag no matter what?

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

I don’t agree with harping on Pryor. He was CLEARLY throwing the ball back to the ref. That’s the smart thing to do. No celebration or anything. Just the other ref got a bad angle of it and honestly, it was a bad break that I feel only the Browns could get

Ice
    Keymaster

Pryor is an amazing athlete. He can jump up and catch a ball 11 feet in the air with one hand while a professional NFL DB is trying to stop him. He’s certainly athletic enough to drop the football ANYWHERE EXCEPT ON THAT NFL DB when the play is done. I don’t think he was trying to taunt but I do blame him 100% for that penalty. You don’t stick your arm out and drop the ball on a guy on the other team. If you do it on purpose it’s a penalty. If you do it on accident, it’s a penalty.

But this is just one of many stupid preventable errors which cost us the game. How does the freaking center get offsides?

Ice
    Keymaster

I think Mike Perrerra said it well. “Pryor dropped the ball on the opponent, but I don’t like that call as taunting.

Technically it is, but I don’t really like it.”

Pryor is smart enough to not get himself into those situations especially when we already know the refs are out to get us.

soup
    Participant

What situation? Throwing the ball to a ref?

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

Did he throw the ball to a ref? No. You must be thinking of some other situation I’m not aware of. I’m talking about the situation where the ref was 6 feet away from Pryor (a former starting QB in the NFL), and he dropped the ball on the defender 2 feet from him. If the defender wasn’t there, the ref would have had to make a diving catch to even touch the ball. That’s the situation I’m talking about.

soup
    Participant

Did he throw the ball to a ref? No. You must be thinking of some other situation I’m not aware of. I’m talking about the situation where the ref was 6 feet away from Pryor (a former starting QB in the NFL), and he dropped the ball on the defender 2 feet from him. If the defender wasn’t there, the ref would have had to make a diving catch to even touch the ball. That’s the situation I’m talking about.

There’s a reason he’s no longer a QB. And “dropping the ball?”

Do this exercise – grab a pen – hold it to your side. then drop it. Anser the following:

1. At anytime did that pen end up above your hand while it was dropping?

2. At any time did the pen go forward – or did it drop straight to the ground?

After you answer those questions look at the picture above.

Freedom!!!

Shooter

I’m with Soup on this one.

It’s taken me this long just to ba able to stomach talking about this.

That foul was……..sweet jumping jesus, you have McCown give himself up on a sack, take a knee, and get plowed over on the ground. No call. He slides after a run, and gets crushed by MULTIPLE defenders on the ground…..no call. End of the game, fantastic catch, sets up 1st and goal from the 9 with 20 seconds left and 4 cracks at the endzone to win it and he tosses the ball back to the ref that glances off the shoulder pad of a defender rising from the ground. Personal foul, taunting, 15 yards.

GET….THE FUCK….OUT OF HERE!!!!

That call was egregious. He was clearly, CLEARLY, tossing the ball back to the ref and absolutely nothing more. Nothing at all. Bad toss? Sure, sure I’ll argue that point. I can entertain the discussion on whether or not his toss back to the ref sucked or not, but that’s as far as I’m willing to go because there was absolutely nothing else to it other than that. Tossing the ball to the ref is NOT, I repeat NOT, a 15-yard taunting penalty.

I’ve seen so many horseshit calls in my time as a Browns fan that they just add upon themselves like a exponentially growing star going supernova so it’s really hard to keep track of them, but this one is unquestionably in the top 20.

the dude
    Participant

Pryor is an amazing athlete. He can jump up and catch a ball 11 feet in the air with one hand while a professional NFL DB is trying to stop him. He’s certainly athletic enough to drop the football ANYWHERE EXCEPT ON THAT NFL DB when the play is done. I don’t think he was trying to taunt but I do blame him 100% for that penalty. You don’t stick your arm out and drop the ball on a guy on the other team. If you do it on purpose it’s a penalty. If you do it on accident, it’s a penalty.
    But this is just one of many stupid preventable errors which cost us the game. How does the freaking center get offsides?

I bump someone 5 yards off the ball and they call no penalty. Guess I am getting away with one….

The biggest farce in the NFL is that they let NFL be the judge and juror. These guys do bet on games. They are not idiots. If you cannot accept that, then I feel bad for you. There is a lot of money in every NFL game….

Hue Jackson is a loser.

the dude
    Participant

I think Mike Perrerra said it well. “Pryor dropped the ball on the opponent, but I don’t like that call as taunting.
    Technically it is, but I don’t really like it.”

Pryor is smart enough to not get himself into those situations especially when we already know the refs are out to get us.

might as well THROW THE FUCKING BALL IN THE CROWD THEN.

These motherfucking pieces of shit on the field need to go fuck themselves. That call was beyond ridiculous.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Shooter

Ice, also, if I may here…..

When it comes to Terelle Pryor, you need to keep something in mind.
    This is a guy who, for all of his splendid, ridiculous, otherworldly talents and abilities, who with freakish capabilities and unseen or heard of potential, single-handedly got one of the greatest college football coaches ever to grace The Ohio State University sidelines, fired.

For a tattoo.

He’s an idiot. He’s also an arrogant, entitled prick of a person. See Alex Boones comments about him recently for proof. (Quick aside. I’ve met Alex Boone. I hung out with him one night. Long, long, long story of how and an even longer story of the night that unfolded lmao, but I did, and we got wrecked one night and found ourselves at a strip club, don’t judge. Anyway…..he hated him. Couldn’t fucking stand him. Went on about what an asshole he was, so when he made his comments recently I was like “oh, he’s not lyin’, he sounded the same 7 years ago”. But he did also say that the guy was just absurd with what he could do on a field.)

All that bashing being said, and my point is, if Pryor wanted to show that guy up, “taunt him”, and really get at him…….he not only could have, but would have.

Seriously, he was just tossing the ball to the ref. If he was being an asshole, it would have been a really “I’m-Terrelle-fucking-Pryor-I-got-Jim-Tressel-fired-suck-my-dick”-obvious.

It just wasn’t that way at all.

Ice
    Keymaster

I guess I’m alone in putting any blame at all on Pryor. The rules are clear; if you toss or drop the ball on an opponent it’s a flag. There’s no ‘oopsie’ exception. Pryor should be smarter than that. It’s not the ref’s job to try to read intent in Pryor’s actions. He’s not supposed to be thinking about what Pryor meant to do, he just worries about what Pryor actually did which is drop the ball onto an opponent.

Ice
    Keymaster

Ice, also, if I may here…..
    When it comes to Terelle Pryor, you need to keep something in mind. This is a guy who, for all of his splendid, ridiculous, otherworldly talents and abilities, who with freakish capabilities and unseen or heard of potential, single-handedly got one of the greatest college football coaches ever to grace The Ohio State University sidelines, fired.
    For a tattoo.
    He’s an idiot. He’s also an arrogant, entitled prick of a person. See Alex Boones comments about him recently for proof. (Quick aside. I’ve met Alex Boone. I hung out with him one night. Long, long, long story of how and an even longer story of the night that unfolded lmao, but I did, and we got wrecked one night and found ourselves at a strip club, don’t judge. Anyway…..he hated him. Couldn’t fucking stand him. Went on about what an asshole he was, so when he made his comments recently I was like “oh, he’s not lyin’, he sounded the same 7 years ago”. But he did also say that the guy was just absurd with what he could do on a field.)
    All that bashing being said, and my point is, if Pryor wanted to show that guy up, “taunt him”, and really get at him…….he not only could have, but would have.
    Seriously, he was just tossing the ball to the ref. If he was being an asshole, it would have been a really “I’m-Terrelle-fucking-Pryor-I-got-Jim-Tressel-fired-suck-my-dick”-obvious.
    It just wasn’t that way at all.

First off I’d like to hear that story. Secondly I agree with you, Pryor didn’t mean to flip the ball onto the defender. It was an accident. Unfortunately accidents are penalties too. When someone jumps offsides the ref doesn’t pick up the flag if they say it was an accident. They used to have a whole category of facemask penalty (inadvertent facemask) to describe an accidental grabbing of the facemask. It was still a penalty. When Erving did…. whatever the hell he did to cause that illegal snap I’m assuming he didn’t do it on purpose, but he still got flagged. Intent has nothing to do with it.

Trippy
    Participant

Worst officiated game I’ve seen since bottlegate. The way the game was going I knew we were going to get jobbed at the end. I don’t know if I’m getting old, apathetic, or both, but this time instead of breaking furniture or dinnerware I actually just chuckled and shook my head the entire time from the time of the penalty call to McCown’s interception.

I’d like to add a goat to Ray Horton and his 3rd down defense. Like clockwork, a single blitzing defender will create a hole in the defense. Not to worry, opposing quarterbacks, you will still have 6 or 7 seconds to survey the field and determine where that hole is.

Game ball goes to McCown. This game reminded me of the end of Braveheart where the crowd that once was eager to see a man tortured just wanted him to give the fuck up and end it.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

First off I’d like to hear that story. Secondly I agree with you, Pryor didn’t mean to flip the ball onto the defender. It was an accident. Unfortunately accidents are penalties too. When someone jumps offsides the ref doesn’t pick up the flag if they say it was an accident. They used to have a whole category of facemask penalty (inadvertent facemask) to describe an accidental grabbing of the facemask. It was still a penalty. When Erving did…. whatever the hell he did to cause that illegal snap I’m assuming he didn’t do it on purpose, but he still got flagged. Intent has nothing to do with it.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

Interestingly, I don’t see anything in there about dropping the ball on the opponent being automatic taunting (Page 11 is where to look).

The only part of taunting that this could fall under is part (c):

(c) The use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.

Which means they ARE trying to judge intent. I believe there is a separate handbook for officials that goes into detail on HOW to make that determination, but the purpose of the rule is to judge INTENT. If not, it would be impossible to comprehensively list all the words or acts that could be considered taunting.

the dude
    Participant

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf
    Interestingly, I don’t see anything in there about dropping the ball on the opponent being automatic taunting (Page 11 is where to look).
    The only part of taunting that this could fall under is part (c):
    (c) The use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.
    Which means they ARE trying to judge intent. I believe there is a separate handbook for officials that goes into detail on HOW to make that determination, but the purpose of the rule is to judge INTENT. If not, it would be impossible to comprehensively list all the words or acts that could be considered taunting.

Actually, it didn’t truly fall under taunting….it fell under sec 3 article 1b

(b) The use of abusive, threatening, or insulting la
    nguage or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials
    or representatives of the League.

Note 3: Violations of (b) will be penalized if any
    of the acts are committed directly at an opponent.
    These acts
    include but are not limited to: sack dances; home ru
    n swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; spinning
    the
    ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointi
    ng the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standi
    ng over
    an opponent (prolonged and with provocation); or dan
    cing.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

Finally someone made a gif of the play.

null

If after watching that you still don’t assign any blame at all to Pryor, then I have no hope for you.

soup
    Participant

He’s looking at the official and not the DB.

Also, reado @thedude post. Ravens players spun the ball at LEAST 6 times with no call. Flat out the officials cheated.

Freedom!!!

Shooter

First off I’d like to hear that story.

Man, I love telling it too lol. It’s one of my favorites.

It became a night that went down in lore and is referred to to this day as “the lactating nipple” by those who were there. Including one Mr. Alex Boone.

To tell the whole thing in this form would read like a novel, and would rob it of it’s true value. It’s just going to have to be stashed away until the day finally comes that we blow some suds off a few pints. The entire escapade played out like a Hunter S. Thompson story.

I will say this though. He was pretty fucking cool to hang out with. He was enormous, he was funny, I didn’t pay for one lap dance the entire night, and he really didn’t like Terrell Pryor at all. In any way shape or form.

Shooter

Oh, and that gif proves it.

That call was total bullshit.

Ice
    Keymaster

He’s looking at the official and not the DB.

That doesn’t matter. I said I don’t think Pryor did it on purpose. I think he meant to toss it to the ref, but the fact is he threw it onto the opposing player. The ref who could see his face did not throw the flag, the ref who was behind did. I imagine those refs had this exact discussion.
    ‘I was right in front of him, he didn’t do it on purpose.’
    ‘Doesn’t matter, he flipped the ball onto an opposing player which is a penalty.’
    The head ref agreed with the ref who threw the flag. He could very well have sided with the other ref but as we saw the refs were definitely in the bag for the Ravens. I’m not absolving them at all, they sucked ass during that game. I’m just saying Pryor made a mistake and part of the blame is on him.

soup
    Participant

No. No blame is on him. The official put his hands out for the ball walking towards Pryor. If the Raven isn’t there then the refund continues towards Pryor and the ball hits him perfectly. However, the refund had to stop due to the player which caused the ball to hit him. That, by rule, is NOT a penalty. There was no intent. If that’s a penalty then the entire crew should be suspended for an entire year for not calling the Ravens for taunting as they spun the ball in front of our guys on numerous occasions which, explicitly stated, is everything penalty.

Pryor deserves zero blame for doing what a ref asks, especially when the ref stops on his way.

He gets no blame. To say otherwise makes no sense.

Freedom!!!

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

Actually, it didn’t truly fall under taunting….it fell under sec 3 article 1b
    (b) The use of abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials , or representatives of the League.
    Note 3: Violations of (b) will be penalized if any of the acts are committed directly at an opponent. These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home ru n swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; spinning the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointi ng the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standi ng over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation); or dan cing.

First, like you mentioned that’s not under taunting. If the refs want to be sticklers to the rules, than they have to call the correct penalty, which should’ve been unsportsmanlike conduct, not taunting. Since it’s the same penalty, I can overlook that, maybe. Though, in court in gets thrown out right there.

But assuming we look at what you brought up, I bolder the part that’s most important. Was Pryors act “abusive, threatening, or insulting?” Not, it was accidental. So this doesn’t apply.

I agree with soup on this one. I don’t give Pryor any blame. complete accident.

the dude
    Participant

It was a complete accident.

and if it was a court of law, it would be assault, resisting arrest, and playing for the cleveland browns.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar