Manziel: Now what do we do?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ice
    Keymaster

So we’ve seen the magic that Manziel brings to the table, and it wasn’t impressive. It was downright pathetic. Where do we go from here? Clearly we let Johnny play the season out and get us a couple more losses, but is it time to ring the QB alarm yet? Is it time to start wondering if those two first round picks will be high enough to package together to move up for a QB? Or do we still have hope that he will learn from the game and improve enough to keep us from grabbing someone high? Sound off.

soup
    Participant

Trade him to Dallas for a conditional 7th and go for a QB this draft.

When we drafted Manziel I said he was the poor man’s Jeff Garcia. I was wrong. He’s the poor man’s Charlie Frye.

Freedom!!!

the dude
    Participant

i am jumping off the bridge

Hue Jackson is a loser.

soup
    Participant

Merrill Hoge on local radio here. Give it a listen. It’s amazing just how bad he really is. Know that this was done PRIOR to Sunday:

The clip is: “12.15.14 hour 3 Rorabaugh/Dulac”

Go 13:15 in (it starts around 13:20)

http://www.iheart.com/show/139-Randy-Baumann-and-the-DVE/

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

i am jumping off the bridge

It must be opposite day. @Dude is already done with Manziel after being such a stalwart supporter, and I’m gonna be the one that is preaching patience and restraint. I don’t like Johnny, that’s no secret. Still, I don’t think QB is the biggest problem with our offense. The biggest problem bar none is our inability to run the ball successfully. Without a run game, we put all the pressure on the QB to win the game for us and that’s not a recipe for success. The Browns were built to be a power run team with a solid defense. Without the power run we’re nothing. Like Bernie Kosar and Coach Pettine said, it doesn’t matter who’s at QB if we can’t run the ball.

I think we should judge Manziel on a game where we do support him with a nice ground effort. I’m not thrilled about his potential but we should at least give him a realistic chance before we toss him in the dumpster.

soup
    Participant

@ice 11:weeks into the regular season and he can’t make a simple 1 read decision

West gave him a run game. Have you seen the picture of Manziel handing off to Manti Teo’s girlfriend for negative 6 yards? The hole is ginormous, had he known the play West gets a huge gain.

First week all year he tried taking extra time.

What’s the point of remaining invested in a guy who isn’t invested in the team?

Freedom!!!

the dude
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>the dude wrote:</div>i am jumping off the bridge

It must be opposite day. @Dude is already done with Manziel after being such a stalwart supporter, and I’m gonna be the one that is preaching patience and restraint. I don’t like Johnny, that’s no secret. Still, I don’t think QB is the biggest problem with our offense. The biggest problem bar none is our inability to run the ball successfully. Without a run game, we put all the pressure on the QB to win the game for us and that’s not a recipe for success. The Browns were built to be a power run team with a solid defense. Without the power run we’re nothing. Like Bernie Kosar and Coach Pettine said, it doesn’t matter who’s at QB if we can’t run the ball.
    I think we should judge Manziel on a game where we do support him with a nice ground effort. I’m not thrilled about his potential but we should at least give him a realistic chance before we toss him in the dumpster.

My opinion has always been the same with the Browns and actually they are following through with it this year. We make real poor decisions on the QB situation. Hoyer is garbage – the quicker that the people lingering on to him realize he will not be in Cleveland and will not be a starting QB next year, the quicker we can put this experiment behind us.

We have to see what we have in Manziel now – the other alternative would have been to keep playing Hoyer which is worthless and then play Manziel a full season next year. So we can see in one game how garbage Manziel is. He still has two more games to prove to us that his arm isn’t junk.

the reason i am wanting to jump off the bridge is because we have another bust.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

I’m not at all and never have been a Manziel fan, but he’s a rookie who just made his first start. He’s just 22, won a Heisman, a first round draft slot and more hype than anyone not named LeBron in the sports world for 2014. He’s done all of that via athletic ability.

He walked into a meat grinder last Sunday, stepped onto the field for the first time after watching his defense get completely demoralized for 8 minutes, and found himself facing a defense fighting for the playoffs, a defense which had been embarrassed by The Browns five weeks earlier, and had a week’s worth of “Johnny Football” shoved down their thoughts by the media. They tossed around the Browns’ fourth string center like he was Paul McQuistan, and got solid pressure rushing only 3 or 4 on every down… if a defense can get in your grill right at the snap while keeping 7-8 in coverage, even the best QBs will have a long day.

He panicked, his mechanics regressed, and he went with what’s always worked for him, be it from lack if preperation, instincts, rookie jitters, or all of the above. He’s found, unquestionably, that it won’t work at this level.

It’s very common with “athletic” quarterbacks. Elway, Young, Aikman…they all had awful starts to their career as they learned what won’t work in the pros.

I’m interested to see how he looks for these last couple of games. As absolutely abysmal as he looked, in a lot of ways he wasn’t that far off. He didn’t tuck-and-run, he scrambled with his eyes down field, which is a good sign. If he can learn to be more decisive when he sees a window, and more importantly to take an extra fraction of a second to set his feet, he’ll look a hell of a lot better.

soup
    Participant

I’m not at all and never have been a Manziel fan, but he’s a rookie who just made his first start. He’s just 22, won a Heisman,

Heisman winners since 1990:

1990 – Ty Detmer, quarterback, Brigham Young
    1991 – Desmond Howard, wide receiver, Michigan
    1992 – Gino Torretta, quarterback, Miami (Fla.)
    1993 – Charlie Ward, quarterback, Florida State
    1994 – Rashaan Salaam, running back, Colorado
    1995 – Eddie George, running back, Ohio State
    1996 – Danny Wuerffel, quarterback, Florida
    1997 – Charles Woodson, cornerback, Michigan
    1998 – Ricky Williams, running back, Texas
    1999 – Ron Dayne, running back, Wisconsin
    2000 – Chris Weinke, quarterback, Florida State
    2001 – Eric Crouch, quarterback, Nebraska
    2002 – Carson Palmer, quarterback, USC
    2003 – Jason White, quarterback, Oklahoma
    2004 – Matt Leinart, quarterback, USC
    2005 – Reggie Bush, running back, USC
    2006 – Troy Smith, quarterback, Ohio State
    2007 – Tim Tebow, quarterback, Florida
    2008 – Sam Bradford, quarterback, Oklahoma
    2009 – Mark Ingram, running back, Alabama
    2010 – Cam Newton, quarterback, Auburn
    2011 – Robert Griffin III, quarterback, Baylor University
    2012 – Johnny Manziel, quarterback, Texas A&M
    2013. Jameis Winston, quarterback, Florida State

Evidence that the trophy is meaningless in regards to NFL output.

a first round draft slot and more hype than anyone not named LeBron in the sports world for 2014. He’s done all of that via athletic ability.

The last 2 QBs with his “star power” were Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn. Hype is meaningless.

He walked into a meat grinder last Sunday, stepped onto the field for the first time after watching his defense get completely demoralized for 8 minutes, and found himself facing a defense fighting for the playoffs, a defense which had been embarrassed by The Browns five weeks earlier, and had a week’s worth of “Johnny Football” shoved down their thoughts by the media. They tossed around the Browns’ fourth string center like he was Paul McQuistan, and got solid pressure rushing only 3 or 4 on every down… if a defense can get in your grill right at the snap while keeping 7-8 in coverage, even the best QBs will have a long day.

HE threw for 71 yards in 59 minutes and 30 seconds of the game. He was a bigger detriment to the o-line than the line was to him. Yes, there were 2 occasions where he had no chance – there were also 16 others where he bailed out and showed no pocket awareness.

He panicked, his mechanics regressed, and he went with what’s always worked for him, be it from lack if preperation, instincts, rookie jitters, or all of the above. He’s found, unquestionably, that it won’t work at this level.
    It’s very common with “athletic” quarterbacks. Elway, Young, Aikman…they all had awful starts to their career as they learned what won’t work in the pros.
    I’m interested to see how he looks for these last couple of games. As absolutely abysmal as he looked, in a lot of ways he wasn’t that far off. He didn’t tuck-and-run, he scrambled with his eyes down field, which is a good sign. If he can learn to be more decisive when he sees a window, and more importantly to take an extra fraction of a second to set his feet, he’ll look a hell of a lot better.

He has no arm strength for his style of football. Guys like Rodgers and Ben throw on the run without setting feet. When he doesn’t set his feet his arm is not NFL quality.

His mechanics have never been NFL quality.

The Bills gave up quickly on EJ Manuel – they may make the playoffs.

The NYJ wanted to test Geno Smith this year – how’d that turn out?

We knew very early those guys weren’t NFL quality QBs.

Johnny Manziel is the poor man’s Charlie Frye.

Freedom!!!

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

So, other than the arm strength, you agree with me? OK.

the dude
    Participant

soup I agree with most of what you said. However, there still are some real great players on that Heisman trophy list along with one hall of famer in woodson.

this is why i tell people over and over again who put so much emphasis on first round nfl picks – the talent is so close in every aspect that I always recommend the NFL team goes with the best player for their locker room and the best player for their system.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

The scary thought is, what if there’s not a “best guy” in the Browns’ locker room, at the QB position? Last year was a “deep” QB class with no big stars. Next year is a shallow QB class with two big stars, who will likely both go in the top 5. Unless we make a huge trade (both first rounders and Gordon?) we aren’t getting Marriota or Winston.

I really don’t see a better scenario than sink or swim with Johnny next year, and if it’s sink, get a top pick in 2016 and start over. And I honestly don’t know if I have that kind of patience anymore.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

@ice 11:weeks into the regular season and he can’t make a simple 1 read decision
    West gave him a run game. Have you seen the picture of Manziel handing off to Manti Teo’s girlfriend for negative 6 yards? The hole is ginormous, had he known the play West gets a huge gain.
    First week all year he tried taking extra time.
    What’s the point of remaining invested in a guy who isn’t invested in the team?

This.

MDP, dude, I watched the game and smashed my dick with a hammer. Repeatedly. Watching that fucking game hurt like hell.

HOWEVER, there’s no going back. They should have either- A: Put JFF in the Colts game to get him some much-needed experience (as well as getting the line in sync- how many false starts were there again?), or B: Let Hoyer finish out the season. You can’t give the ball to the rookie like he’s Jesus and expect a miracle.

This whole ordeal has thrown the offense completely out of whack, and I have to put that one on our rookie head coach.The staff had no business throwing a first start rookie out there against a division rival near the end of the season with playoff hopes on the line, especially when they’re pissed about what we did to them earlier this year.

So, now we’re stuck with the decision. It likely implies that Hoyer is gone next year no matter what. And Manziel better stop trying to play magician in the backfield and focus on what it takes to be a QB in this league, or he’s gonna be joining Brady Quinn as another failed savior of the franchise.

All this being said…if we somehow get all the pieces to fit together next year, Manziel actually playing the position instead of backyard Smear the Queer, the coaches actually look at the mistakes of this season and learn from them…combined with our two first rounders next year, we might get somewhere. I’d like to see what’s already been an improvement get better.

Because I gotta tell you, I didn’t expect 7 wins.

the dude
    Participant

MDP, dude, I watched the game and smashed my dick with a hammer.

you lucky son of a bitch….I can never find a hammer around

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar