Must win – Titans/Ravens

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    soup
    Participant

Steelers did their job. Ravens are 6-5.

To make the playoffs we must win vs either the Titans or Ravens

People said I was wrong about “must win” vs Jags, I wasn’t.

Baltimore will destroy Dallas and be 7-5

If we lose to the Titans we will be 8-4.

We play the Ravens the next week – we could both be 8-5 if we lose that too. which would be bad for us because Ravens ending of the year is a cake walk.

Overall, we must end the year 11-5 to make it. This is the time we need to take the next step and prove we represent 8-3.

We will need 35+ to win.

As a football fan I can’t wait to watch the 2 best RB in the league go against each other

Freedom!!!

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Must be nice to have your games pushed back when star players are in Covid protocols.

I do agree, though. Especially the Ravens…that’s absolutely must win. It’s tough to see a scenario where we lose to Baltimore and don’t wind up with the same record as them, at best.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

10-6 absolutely gets in. I said it last week, and I stand by it. Your claiming victory calling last week a must win, but we’d be in the same position today if we’d lost. So you have no reasoning to back it up.

Reasonably, we have to beat 2 of the colts, Dolphins, ravens, and raiders. We have at least a game on each. The colts/raiders have a game left, the raiders/Dolphins have a game left, and the Dolphins remaining schedule is brutal overall, and the colts still play the Steelers.

Raiders have the tiebreaker over us, but we own the tie breaker over the colts, and we’ll almost certainly have it over the Dolphins. Neither of those teams will finish better than 10-6.

If we had lost to the jags, we would need a win in one of these next two games to make it. As it stands now, we do not.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

So, along the lines a being a must win, I decided to see if, at the 3 games back, the division is still in play for the Browns. Short version: it’s not, but it’s not as far out as I would have thought.

The Steelers still have the Bills and Colts on their schedule. They’ll be favored, but I at least consider those losable games for the Steelers. Couple that with the Browns winning out and beating them in week 17, and they’d have identical win/loss records.

It’s far fetched, but not completely in the realm of impossibility. The problem is, we lose the tiebreaker because of our division record, which includes a loss to the ravens. The only division game the Steelers have left is against the Bengals. But even if they beat the Bengals, the next tiebreaker is strength of victory, and they pummeled us in the first meeting.

Sooo, the only way we can take the division is if the Steelers lose 4 of the next 5. Which means either the Washington football team or the Bengals beat them, along with the colts, bills, and Browns. THAT, is too far fetched. Won’t happen. But it’s at least fun to think about.

soup
    Participant

11-5 we control our destiny. 10-6 and our destiny is in the hands of other teams. 10-6 can be a repeat of 2007

Freedom!!!

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

In 2007, we would have made the playoffs if there were 3 wild card teams

*insert Kermit sipping coffee meme*

Ice
    Keymaster

As a football fan I can’t wait to watch the 2 best RB in the league go against each other

But Chubb and Hunt are on the same team….

See what I did there?

DawgSoldier
    Participant

See I think these are must wins for the Browns for a different reason.

If the Browns can beat the titans or ravens it will put them in a weaker playoff position and maybe get the browns a playoff home game.

I’d much rather have homefield playoff game than an away game.

Also it weakens teams with strong running games to being closer to not making the play offs. Which is a good thing.

http://cloudassetserver.com/STL/posts/185/sp_04_976x0.jpg

soup
    Participant

In 2007, we would have made the playoffs if there were 3 wild card teams
    *insert Kermit sipping coffee meme*

In 2007 we’d have made the playoffs at 11-5. 10-6 isn’t good enough this year. Mentality needs to flow that they have to win

Freedom!!!

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

In 2007 we’d have made the playoffs at 11-5. 10-6 isn’t good enough this year. Mentality needs to flow that they have to win

My mentality doesn’t impact the Browns one single iota. Do I want them to win? Absolutely. Do they realistically need to go 11-5 to make the playoffs? No. No they don’t.

I do agree with DS that the Browns really do need to win if they hope to do anything in the playoffs. Squeaking into the playoffs and going to Pittsburgh or Kansas City in the first round is a recipe for an early exit.

Ice
    Keymaster

Soup I think perhaps if you tell us how you define a “must win” game that would be helpful. In prior years you’ve called the 1st game of the season a “must win” and I think most people here define it differently than you.

soup
    Participant

Soup I think perhaps if you tell us how you define a “must win” game that would be helpful. In prior years you’ve called the 1st game of the season a “must win” and I think most people here define it differently than you.

If we don’t win odds of playoffs decreases substantially. We keep winning and we are in

Freedom!!!

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

I think they’re all “must win” games for this team. Imagine the difference going into the playoffs fresh off a win over the Steelers, versus another demoralizing loss to end the year

Shooter

MUST WIN

All I read was: “EVERY GAME MUST WIN!!! BROWNS HAVE TO GO 16-0 OR THEY ARE WORST ASSEMBLED GROUP OF PEOPLE IN THE HISTORY OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE. FIRE EVERYONE. MOVE TO ENGLAND. NEVER WATCH FOOTBALL AGAIN. CUT OFF OWN PENIS AND THROW VIOLENTLY INTO FREEWAY TRAFFIC FROM BRIDGE!!”

*Kicks dog, slams door, drinks entire bottle of whiskey, lights hair on fire, carves ‘triggered-as-fuck’ into chest with razor*

Is that what you guys read too? Or is that just me?

soup
    Participant

@shooter no. I’m looking at playoff implications. These next 2 games are extremely important. Barring some miracle the Ravens will destroy the Cowboys – 7-5. If we lose, 8-4. Ravens game – we lose 8-5 Ravens 8-5 jump ahead. If we lose the next 2 games out path to the playoffs can take a nosedive aka 2007. We’ve been to the playoffs once since 1999. That one time we had to beat Atlanta AND we needed another team to win to get in. We win one of these games – our path opens wide. If we lose to Titans and Ravens that path shrinks dramatically

Freedom!!!

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

why are you fixated on the damn Ravens? There are 2 other wildcard spots. Even if we lose both those games, we still only need to beat 2 of the colts, Dolphins, and raiders, and they’ve all got losses left on their schedule.

If you’re talking strictly a “must win to make the playoffs” this isn’t it.

Also, Jonnu Smith is out this weekend, so that helps.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

why are you fixated on the damn Ravens? There are 2 other wildcard spots. Even if we lose both those games, we still only need to beat 2 of the colts, Dolphins, and raiders, and they’ve all got losses left on their schedule.
    If you’re talking strictly a “must win to make the playoffs” this isn’t it.
    Also, Jonnu Smith is out this weekend, so that helps.

Because tie breakers vs potential playoff tems is the difference between a home play off game and a road one. Road teams in the playoffs usually get whooped.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

Because tie breakers vs potential playoff tems is the difference between a home play off game and a road one. Road teams in the playoffs usually get whooped.

The whole “must win scenario” is about making the playoffs, not seeding in the playoffs. If the goal is to get the 5th seed, then I agree it’s a must win.

But. The reality is we’re not getting a home playoff game. Week 1 is guaranteed on the road for wildcard team, and IF there’s a week 2, the odds of getting a home are very very slim even for a fifth seed.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

The whole “must win scenario” is about making the playoffs, not seeding in the playoffs. If the goal is to get the 5th seed, then I agree it’s a must win.
    But. The reality is we’re not getting a home playoff game. Week 1 is guaranteed on the road for wildcard team, and IF there’s a week 2, the odds of getting a home are very very slim even for a fifth seed.

See thats the wrong type of thinking IMO Browns have 3 losses. If they win out they’d be 13-3. The steerlers play Buff who has a good D and the Colts who have a good and washington who has anasty pass rush plus the Browns.

The Browns are still mathmatically in the case for the division crown. Simply making the playoffs shouldn’t be the goal right now. Being in the chase for the AFC North while it is tsill mathmatically possible should be the goal. Therefore all remaining games are must wins!

Ice
    Keymaster

If we don’t win odds of playoffs decreases substantially. We keep winning and we are in

That literally describes every single game we play. For example we lost to the Ravens already this season and that lost significantly affected our playoff odds. So that was a must win, but we lost. And here we are 8-4 and in control of our own destiny.

I think most people define ‘must win’ as “if we don’t win this game the probability of winning the Superbowl drops to ZERO.” Every playoff game is a ‘must win’ by that definition.

soup
    Participant

@ice if we lose the next 2 we no longer control our own destiny. Lose the next 2 and confidence can get shot and we could finish 9-7 or 8-8

Freedom!!!

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

@ice if we lose the next 2 we no longer control our own destiny. Lose the next 2 and confidence can get shot and we could finish 9-7 or 8-8

We absolutely control our own destiny. If we lose the next 2, we can still go 11-5, and that absolutely undeniably gets us in.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

Again, my type of thinking does not impact the Browns. I was have to be a complete narcissist to think otherwise.

And a I pointed out above, the Steelers own the tiebreakers against the Browns. They would have to lose either to either the Washington Football Team or the Bengals, AND the Bills, AND the Colts, AND the Browns.

I can get on board with being optimistic, but thinking an 11-0 team will finish 1-4 is simply delusional.

Ice
    Keymaster

So if we lose the next two games, THEN you can start talking about must win.

BillWunkle
    Participant

Is this a “must win” game? Not necessarily, but a win against a playoff contending team would add some legitimacy to the Browns overall record.

Here’s what concerns me about this game:
    *Derrick Henry is a BEAST. You cannot arm tackle this guy. You have to get to him before he has the opportunity to get any forward momentum going.
    *AJ Brown is a physical freak. He’s so big, fast and physical that he’s a matchup nightmare defensively.
    *Ryan Tannehill is not just running the offense, he’s making plays. The Browns have to find a way to get to him. Getting Myles Garrett is a huge positive.
    *Although the Browns get Myles Garrett back from the COVID list, the back seven still needs help with none coming in the near future. If the Browns can’t at least slow down Henry or get to Tannehill, then it’s going to be a long day.
    *Khadarel Hodge wrote a BIG check that his team mates need to cash when he gave the Titans bulletin board material. Doesn’t he remember that this is the team that handed out an ass whipping on opening day last year? And to top it off, Hodge is out for this game. Quite frankly, I hope that Hodge gets fined for comments detrimental to the team. Titans head coach Mike Vrabel will use this to motivate his team and he’ll do it well. You don’t wake a sleeping Giant, you let him sleep.

Here’s what I like about this game:
    * Browns O-line against the Titans D-line. Our line is healthy and has protected Mayfield fairly well.
    *The one-two punch of Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Chub doesn’t need to outrush Derrick Henry, but it would be nice if he did. The combination of Chubb and Hunt needs to be more effective than Henry and the Titans #2 back, which I think can be done.
    *Myles Garrett will be going up against the Titans #3 left tackle. That should make Garrett start foaming at the mouth for excitement. Granted, he’ll be double teamed a lot, but that means Olivier Vernon should be one on one all day.
    *Jarvis Landry, Austin Hooper and Harrison Bryant should have big days against the Titans secondary.

Am I going mad, or did the word THINK escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic landmass!

DawgSoldier
    Participant

Must win to ass whoopin in one 1/2 of play.

Dammmmmmnnnnnnnn!!!

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

Soup, quit being so damn negative. If, if, if, if, if… I am tired of the ifs. Just like if any of the teams fighting for a wildcard lose their next 2 it puts them in trouble.
    When you will actually start to enjoy each game and not worry about 5 weeks from now?
    I like the “one game at a time” mentality. You don’t need to worry about next week. Worry about this week.
    I don’t see any must win games on the schedule. What I see are games that would be nice to win and games we should win.
    Rest assured. Soup will give Peoples-Jones a goat for his drop early in the game.

soup
    Participant

Next week is a must win. Why? We win and we are in per the announcers today. Peoples Jones didn’t get a game ball, had we lost he’d have had a goat for the 4 points he cost

Freedom!!!

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

Next week isn’t a must win. I don’t think you understand what must win means.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

If the Browns want an outside shot at catching the steelers for the afc north crown next is a must win.

#whynotus

soup
    Participant

Next week isn’t a must win. I don’t think you understand what must win means.

Lose to the Ravens (unless they lose tomorrow) and the Ravens can run the table. Jets are bound to win a game, would’ve won yesterday if not for having a terrible DC. NYG just beat Seattle and the Steelers are undefeated. But hey, enjoy feeling like we should take the difficult route and expect others to lose for us to get in. Win and be done. Next week a win gets us in.

Freedom!!!

soup
    Participant

FYI to everyone ripping on me. I say 2007 vs Cincy was a must win for the Browns. No one calling me out on Jags/Titans/Ravens is allowed to agree about 2007. It wasn’t must win. If we lost Indy needed to win and we’d have been in. Therefore, by your own logic, Cincy in 2007 wasn’t a must win scenario.

Ravens Monday night is a must win for us.

Freedom!!!

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

FYI to everyone ripping on me. I say 2007 vs Cincy was a must win for the Browns. No one calling me out on Jags/Titans/Ravens is allowed to agree about 2007. It wasn’t must win. If we lost Indy needed to win and we’d have been in. Therefore, by your own logic, Cincy in 2007 wasn’t a must win scenario.
    Ravens Monday night is a must win for us.

We literally cannot fall further than 5th place in the conference with a loss. Do you understand that? With a loss, we wouldn’t move down a single spot in rankings. I don’t care what kind of bull sit reasoning you have, there’s no possible way to define this as a “must win”.

2007 was completely different. I think everybody agreed Cincy was a must win game back then, because we didn’t control our own destiny with that loss. If we lose to the Ravens, we still control it. Very Strongly.

soup
    Participant

We control our own destiny NOW. Win Monday night vs Ravens we’re in the playoffs. Doesn’t get much more clear than that.

Freedom!!!

DawgSoldier
    Participant

We control our own destiny NOW. Win Monday night vs Ravens we’re in the playoffs. Doesn’t get much more clear than that.

Also if they win on monday night they still have a mathematical shot at catching Pittsburgh for the afc north crown.

I am rooting heavily the front 4 for washington plays penyata with big jen.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

I’m assuming you’re just trolling because you feel like it’s worked the past two weeks because we’ve won, but I’ll say this anyway.

For a game to be a “must win,” there has to be an “or else.” Plain and Simple. They must win…or else they miss the playoff. Must win…or else they don’t control their own destiny. Must win…or else the coach gets fired. That sort of thing.

Now I ask you, what is the “or else” for this game?? Nothing. The best you can say is we lose a little bit of our cushion to make the playoffs. That’s it. And, as shooter stated, that’s the case for every game. So, this can only be considered a must win if you consider every game a must win, which really makes denoting a game a “must win” about as significant as a wet fart.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

We control our own destiny but it isn’t a must win and it doesn’t clinch the playoffs even if we win.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar