Roster implications: Josh Gordon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    durakbane
    Participant

I thought we could discuss how the roster, offensive philosophy, and etc changes once Gordon returns.

If you think about it:
    Someone gets released in order to make room..but who?
    Someone gets less playing time at WR..but who?
    The running game probably gets impact too..but how?

Ice
    Keymaster

Great question. As far as who gets dropped my guess is FB Agnew again.

The rest is made easier by Cameron’s concussion. I see us using fewer 2 TE sets and honestly the one who will give up the receptions is Cameron (until he returns). When he’s back I think Benjamin will lose playing time. Don’t forget about Hawkins either. Gordon will draw doubleteams on every single play… that’ll make life so much easier on Hawkins. A lof of his 8 or 9 yard catches will turn into 20 yard plays. Also it can’t be overstated how much easier it will be for Hoyer to read the defensive coverage with Gordon on the field. Where they line Gordon up will dictate the defenses coverage.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

As far as who gets released, that’s really going to take some squinting at the roster. I gotta say Ice, I hope Agnew doesn’t get let go…that’d be pretty shitty of the FO to sign and release him in such a short span…and I honestly don’t see them not going without a fullback of some sort. I could see someone like Moore going, however (just a guess, and I promise not to say “I told you so” if it comes to pass).

But I know with Hawk in the slot and the combination of Austin and Gabriel at #3, Shanny has all kinds of options, and all of them great ones. He’s gonna have all the new toys he wanted for Christmas a month or so early.

I will say this though- I don’t expect him to make the immediate impact that a lot of folks seem to expect…may take a game or two for him to truly be the difference maker that he is capable of being, but I’m sure he has some rust.

But then, we’re talking about a guy who led the league despite missing two games. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he did something similar this year.

soup
    Participant

Rodney Smith will get the axe. As for the game plan – I see no change. For us to throw more would=losses.

Robert Griffin – playoffs as a rookie – top 5 rush attempts in the NFL
    Robert Griffin – complete failure year – top 5 PASS attempts in the NFL.

The only thing it should effect will be Hoyer’s completion percentage – it should go up as now Hawkins/Gabriel who were getting open on #1/#2 corners will be going against #2/3 corners. It should open lanes significantly. It should also move a safety out of the box in the run game.

I’m naïve. I expect huge things when Gordon comes back. I see a stretch of 30+ point games in our final games with him.

Freedom!!!

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

I’d have to assume Gabriel will lose the most time on offense. Hawkins has a role, Austin is clutch on third downs, and Benjamin has played his ass off and makes really tough catches. Gabriel, whom I actually really like as a prospect, has the least experience and is, at this point, a one-trick pony running deep routes. Gordon will be running those routes once he’s back.

As for who gets cut, probably Rodney Smith or the linebacker we promoted to take Taylor’s spot.

durakbane
    Participant

I think Gordon gets in ‘slowly’ or at least as ‘slowly’ as a player can be that is a critical part of the offense.

Keep in mind that he’s been in the facility during his suspension…so its not like he hasn’t been somewhat engaged….just not on the field.

I think Travis Benjamin takes the snap count hit. I think Gordon will do what Benjamin does..take the top off the defense.

Finally, with the amount of injuries we’ve had, I’m just not sure who gets cut.

csudawg

Im with you on this one soup…Rodney Smith will get cut for the sake of Gordon. I can’t see them getting rid of Agnew at all, especially with the weather getting cold and needing someone to help open up lanes for the 3 headed monster.

I think we will see less of Benjamin as well. Gabriel is a possession machine, Hawk is crushing it, and now with Gordon back to stretch the field? I just…ahhhh…Also, Ill be at the Atlanta game (anyone else?) and seriously get goosebumps when I think about it.

Christ Follower, Husband, Daddy, Browns fan. @seangajda on twitter. Writer of Pick 6 +1.

Ice
    Keymaster

I’m definitely thinking Agnew after that game. He was turrble.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

If Agnew doesn’t get Iced (see what I did there?) after this game, I’ll be shocked. Vickers still not playing? Maybe we should bring him out of “retirement”.

So we dropped a big deuce against the Texans. Chin up, folks…our boy comes back next week. Yes, good ol’ J.G. (Wentworth?) will be back making all the catches Austin doesn’t seem to want to make.

Season ain’t over fellas.

Ice
    Keymaster

We’re all wrong. Amazingly the Browns released Ben Tate to make room for Gordon!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar