Do we have a shot with Johnny?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    csudawg

So I’m seeing a ton of people who think we have no shot with the current QB’s on our roster…Maybe Im just a brutal optimist, but I really think IF Johnny and Gilbert both have their heads on right, (which there have been positive reports asserting just that) then maybe we aren’t really in bad shape after all.

I know over the years I’ve been accused (and rightly so) of being too optimistic, so call this a discussion on my optimism if you must- but I do not think I am that far off. My greatest relief of not going after a QB in the draft was that Johnny would get a fair shot this season, and the more I watch of his highlights the more I see hope in a future for him if he indeed has his demons under control.

Thoughts?

Christ Follower, Husband, Daddy, Browns fan. @seangajda on twitter. Writer of Pick 6 +1.

Ice
    Keymaster

Honestly, I agree with you. If EITHER Gilbert or Manziel earn their lofty expectations then we will be in very good shape. There are about ten men on the entire planet who are good enough to be a franchise QB. I’m glad that Pettine realizes that one of those guys probably wasn’t available in the 2015 draft, so he’s trying to design a team that doesn’t need one of those ten men. We’re going to pound the ball down people’s throats and destroy them with defense. That’s how he drafted. If Manziel happens to magically stop sucking then we’ll just be that much better. Here’s hoping!!!

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Having added another young, talented running back, having four out of five spots on the offensive line manned by potential pro-bowlers, and an improved defensive front which should help keep the game close…Johnny should have one of the simplest jobs in professional football. Protect the football. Not making big plays, not reading the defense and taking advantage, not memorizing a bunch of timing throws…just protect the ball. Hand it off, hand it off, make a safe pass, hand it off.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

I am not convinced that Johnny Manziel is going to be the starter but “the other guy” will do an okay job. Combine that with our defense and we should be in most games.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

From what I’m hearing, his attitude has completely changed. His nose is in a playbook. He’s moved out of “party central” to the suburbs (sans Haden)…coupled with what was surely several humbling experiences (Bengals pt. 2, The Hangover pt. 4), and the fact that he seemed to truly taken his recovery from addiction seriously, I’m coming around to the belief that he’s a different man than the one putting up the little money sign on draft day 2014. And for that alone, he’s gained my respect, as a person. To realize that you have inner demons ripping you apart at such a young age, and yet having the wisdom to actually listen to those that care for you…well, it’s refreshing to see, because it’s not something you see everyday. I wish him nothing but the best.

And this is going to help him as a football player. The kid amazed me in college. But this ain’t the backyard shit he was playing then. What’s more, I think he realizes that now, and I also believe he wants to be great. So he’s going to take cues from teammates, reach out to other greats, and do all he can to perfect himself and his craft.

And no, I’m not ready to anoint him The Savior of Cleveland…but if he can find a balance of using his brain along with his instincts, we could have a QB very similar to Russel Wilson, maybe even better.

Or he may be the bust many had predicted from the start. Personally, I hope for the former.

Go get ’em, Johnny.

durakbane
    Participant

I absolutely want Manziel to become the ‘comeback’ story of the season. Much like everyone else, I worry that he will relapse and/or simply not have what it takes to be an NFL starter.

With that being said, I honestly do not have much to complain about with the way the staff is handling the situation. Of course, not getting a top WR is the easiest complaint, but you can win without elite WRs…you just have to have everything else. And that is what I think they are trying to do…Top Defense, Top Running Game, Top Offensive Line…almost there. Franchise QB….that’s the missing link.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Make no mistake about it, if Johnny Manziel can get his head on straight he has the potential to be a more exciting version of Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson has his head on straight though and the mental aspect of the game often proves to be the most difficult to master. For that reason, I think it is unlikely Manziel will succeed in the NFL. Cleveland was intent on breaking Manziel’s cocky, arrogant streak from Day 1, refusing to name him the starter and insisting he change his crazy ways, and break him they did. What remained simply wasn’t worth putting on the field. Manziel needed to be allowed to be and find himself, by trying to change him the organization took away the best part of his game (and a significant part of his identity). I don’t see him getting that swagger back, and I don’t see him as the blue collar lunch pail guy that is going to succeed as a game manager/role player. Johnny was a star, but it looks like the star burned out.

Ice
    Keymaster

Johnny SecondChance has one opportunity to get this right. There’s no doubt that this fanbase will be screaming his name by game 3 because Josh McCown is worthless. It’s a shame he wasted an entire season of his career. Doing what he’s supposed to do is not enough to make up for it, he has to have the work ethic of Peyton Manning. Even if he did have that work ethic, I have my doubts as to his ability to play in the NFL. @Soup and I both said he’s not worth any more than a 5th round pick before last year’s draft. It’s one of the very few things we both agreed on. Looks like we were right.

the dude
    Participant

Johnny SecondChance has one opportunity to get this right. There’s no doubt that this fanbase will be screaming his name by game 3 because Josh McCown is worthless. It’s a shame he wasted an entire season of his career. Doing what he’s supposed to do is not enough to make up for it, he has to have the work ethic of Peyton Manning. Even if he did have that work ethic, I have my doubts as to his ability to play in the NFL. @Soup and I both said he’s not worth any more than a 5th round pick before last year’s draft. It’s one of the very few things we both agreed on. Looks like we were right.

Glad to see you are giving him a second chance. Whether he is good enough to play or not, that is one thing.

I expect sobriety and staying out of trouble. If he doesn’t have the physical talent, its not his fault. Who ever picked him should be fired.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

soup
    Participant

No. We don’t. His arm is way too weak. He has no field vision. He’s lazy. He’s never run a playbook. For his style he’s way too slow for the NFL.

Loved watching him in college.

Has absolutely zero NFL skills.

Freedom!!!

syd
    Participant

So I’m seeing a ton of people who think we have no shot with the current QB’s on our roster…Maybe Im just a brutal optimist, but I really think IF Johnny and Gilbert both have their heads on right, (which there have been positive reports asserting just that) then maybe we aren’t really in bad shape after all.
    I know over the years I’ve been accused (and rightly so) of being too optimistic, so call this a discussion on my optimism if you must- but I do not think I am that far off. My greatest relief of not going after a QB in the draft was that Johnny would get a fair shot this season, and the more I watch of his highlights the more I see hope in a future for him if he indeed has his demons under control.
    Thoughts?

totally agree

“when i am feeling optimistic” i’ll drink what csu is having,,,,,,,, stay optimistic my friends

Trippy
    Participant

The Bucs’ offensive line was so brutal last year that at one point Oniel Cousins was starting at left tackle. Let that sink in a minute. McCown won’t be as good as he was in 13 with the Bears, but he won’t be as bad as he was last year.

As for Manziel, the Steelers won with Kordell Stewart, Neil O’Donnell, and Tommy Maddox until they found Roethlisberger. We are building our team the same way. At least we aren’t trying to force one to work (Weeden, McCoy, Frye, Quinn, etc etc).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar