So long, friends

Viewing 60 posts - 1 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Ice
    Keymaster

So long, friends

Browns Football Talk will be shutting down at the end of this month. The sad fact is that after 45 years of being a die hard Browns fan, recent moves by the franchise and as a whole by the NFL have made me feel like they don’t want me as a fan anymore. Twenty five years of not having a good team did not stop me (nor you) from being a fan. It is not about winning or losing for me. In fact, those players on the field yesterday lost but I freaking love them. I will always be a fan of Chubb wherever he lands. I’ll smile every time Garrett sacks a QB even if he does it for another team. Maybe the Browns will win the superbowl with their new QB who was worth giving up three 1st round picks and a huge portion of their fanbase. Good for them.

I’ll still watch on Sundays when I’m not busy doing other things. I’ll still root for the Browns to win. But they won’t get any more of my money, and they won’t get this website promoting them. I wonder how much the woke bullshit has cost the NFL? It cost them me and probably a lot of fans like me.

Anyway, you guys have all been great. I’ve known most of you for about 2 decades now. I’d like you to find a new home together so if anyone has any ideas of a new site to frequent please let everyone know. Maybe I’ll join up just to disagree with Soup every now and then. I’m off facebook so please email me at ice456789@gmail.com if you want to keep in touch. Good luck guys.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

I know the feeling well. It has been great spending time talking football with Browns enthusiasts but I wonder how many hours of my life I have suffered because of them.

Good luck.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

Thanks Jason, your a good dude and someone I’d like to have a beer with some day.

Eric

http://cloudassetserver.com/STL/posts/185/sp_04_976x0.jpg

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Been a great run over the years, bud. Thanks for taking Dune’s community and keeping it alive, giving us a great place to vent and cheer on Sundays. It’s been the first place I come running to every week after every game, and especially after even the smallest move in the off-season.

I’m in basically the same boat, I can’t really pull for this organization anymore after they bent over for someone like Watson, and it’s just not in my character to jump on the bandwagon of another team, so I’m basically just going to enjoy my Sundays with my family and not obsess over the TV.

Cleveland is a great city, getting better everyday, and has a fantastically run basketball team and an exceptionally well run baseball team. Life’s too short for the one franchise which can’t get out of its own way.

We’ll always have that time Ben Gay picked up his own fumble and made an incredible run down field only to fumble again. We’ll also always have the great times laughing at Quinnfan or whatever his name was and his meltdowns, Tree boasting about his pickup games, and all the other weirdos over the years. I wonder if the junkie dude who was always great conversation and fascinating punctuation is still with us and I hope he is and is doing well. Oh yeah and that guy who always claimed to have inside scoops which were just wild guesses!!

Anyhow, it’s been real. Nothing but love, best of luck.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

So, I’ve been keeping tabs on the site without posting for…what, 3-4 years now? I usually don’t find topics worth discussing anymore, as my own interest in the team has really declined the last few years. But there are some great memories, especially in the ugliest of times with you guys.

Dune. Ice. Shooter. Soup. BF4L. Dawson (yeah you’re still HIM). MDP. DS. And God help me, even Tree. And forgive me if I’ve missed anyone (it’s been a while)…we’ve gone through many a bad season, many a draft together. This place (and more so Dawgbones) never once shied from the theme it was meant to imply–a bunch of fellas talking sports, preferably over beer. Maybe have to shove some tables outta the way for Dawson and DS to duke it out but, things always ended up alright.

Still, something gets lost at the end of this month. Something that has been a constant in my life since…2005?

You guys. Seeing shit like this. All the unique experiences (like that faux Phil Savage ghostwriter). The “hero of the day” Brady Quinn post that I wish could have been recovered before Dawgbones went down…your names, these antics, they’re all etched into my soul, guys.

Jason, thanks again for giving Dawgbones a second life. Shooter, thanks for the awesome YouTube stuff for The Barking Lot. Soup, thanks for being the pessimistic lovable bastard who was far too correct for his own good. And the rest of you…damn, it’s just not gonna feel the same to see your one of a kind views.

This is really it. It’s been a real honor, guys. Thank you.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

So, I’ve been keeping tabs on the site without posting for…what, 3-4 years now? I usually don’t find topics worth discussing anymore, as my own interest in the team has really declined the last few years. But there are some great memories, especially in the ugliest of times with you guys.
    Dune. Ice. Shooter. Soup. BF4L. Dawson (yeah you’re still HIM). MDP. DS. And God help me, even Tree. And forgive me if I’ve missed anyone (it’s been a while)…we’ve gone through many a bad season, many a draft together. This place (and more so Dawgbones) never once shied from the theme it was meant to imply–a bunch of fellas talking sports, preferably over beer. Maybe have to shove some tables outta the way for Dawson and DS to duke it out but, things always ended up alright.
    Still, something gets lost at the end of this month. Something that has been a constant in my life since…2005?
    You guys. Seeing shit like this. All the unique experiences (like that faux Phil Savage ghostwriter). The “hero of the day” Brady Quinn post that I wish could have been recovered before Dawgbones went down…your names, these antics, they’re all etched into my soul, guys.
    Jason, thanks again for giving Dawgbones a second life. Shooter, thanks for the awesome YouTube stuff for The Barking Lot. Soup, thanks for being the pessimistic lovable bastard who was far too correct for his own good. And the rest of you…damn, it’s just not gonna feel the same to see your one of a kind views.
    This is really it. It’s been a real honor, guys. Thank you.

Shoves tables out of the way to smash the LIKE button. Well said sir.

the dude
    Participant

Really sorry to see this site go. Hope you reconsider. Life is too short and even though I don’t post nearly what I do, will ultimately miss you all.

I joined browns Nation on Facebook and anything I say about Deshaun Watson, I am declared by the black population of browns fans as a racist. With what has happened over the past 6 years, I have lost a lot of will when it comes to things. I am 41 and my little girl is about to turn 1.
    I don’t like anything to do with Watson and may stop watching myself. Heading away this weekend and won’t be watching.

I really do appreciate you all. I hope Jason changes his mind. I know it isn’t a money thing, but if it is I would contribute etc. I understand your position and do appreciate you Jason and everyone else here.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

I joined Dawgbones in 2005 and joined BFT after DB closed. It’s been a great run. Ice, thanks for giving us Dawgbones alums a place to go after DB closed down.

BF4L, DS, Dawgpound Dude, MDP, Dawg E. Dawg, Dawson, Soup, Bill Wunkle, Shooter, Ice, and anybody I may have missed–I’ve enoyed enjoyed reading your posts over the past 16+ years. This has been a great group to hang out with.

My two favorite memories are Soup somehow figuring out Phil Savage’s email address (that still cracks me up) and of course, the greatest thread of all–the Brady Train.

I’ll miss Soup’s Gameballs and Goats (and everyone telling him that he was wrong) and DS and Wunkle’s mocks.

I’m so Watsoned-out right now. I was always uncomfortable with getting him and now another case comes up. How many more? The team not only traded a ton of draft capital and fan goodwill, they traded away the 2022 season as well.

Regardless, I’ll keep watching, even if I have to hold my nose while doing so.

If any of you ever start up a site or find a good one, I can be reached at goodell93@gmail.com.

Take care guys, and thanks for everything.

soup
    Participant

Thanks Ice for holding on. This was the best site for us outcasts. You can all blame @shooter for having to deal with me. He’s the one who originally invited me 20 years ago.

I’ve taken to Twitter to rant. It’s been fun ya’ll! I mentally checked out. I used to really truly be emotional invested in games and get mad. Yesterday I just shook my head and knew we’d lose regardless.

It’s been fun everyone. Find me on Twitter @brettmercuri

I’ll leave you all with one final thought.

FIRE STEFANSKI IMMEDIATELY!!!

Freedom!!!

Shooter

This was the season that broke me.

I’ve unfortunately and painfully come to the conclusion that the passion, support, and loyalty given to the Browns is not reciprocated in any way by the organization, and frankly, they don’t fucking deserve it from me anymore.

The owner is a lying conman, not to mention a complete dumbfuck, and he is clueless to the fans of Ohio, and of this team. His Tennessee shaped scoreboard should have clued us in long ago that he genuinely doesn’t give one fuck about any of us.

He has assembled a low-rent, humiliating organization that year after imploding year continues to embarrass the great people of Cleveland, the city itself, and fans of the Browns across the world. It’s a slap in the face to us on a constant basis. The entire Deshaun Watson debacle was the final straw for me.

I’ve chosen to detach from it. From something that I’ve loved for as long as I can remember. I don’t support them anymore, and I’m never going to give them another dollar. Not until all of this is over. Until Haslam is gone, the rapist is gone, and the Browns are actually an NFL franchise again.

It’s somewhat easier for me in that I do work for another NFL currently, so I have another team to root for (but they suck too lmao).

I honestly don’t give a fuck if they win or lose. That hurts to say too, but it’s honest.

Those who know me as a person can find me on Facebook and Instagram if you like. Otherwise……….gentlemen, it’s been an honor and a privilege. We’ve had some absolutely outstanding moments and convos far too many to list, starting all the way back at Dawg Talk for some of us, then on to Dune’s board Dawgbones, and then here. Some of us like myself have been part of it since 99, and we’ve been bullshitting with each other since then. It’s a sad day to see it come to and end, but everything does.

Best of luck everyone, maybe I’ll find you out there in the ether!

DawgSoldier
    Participant

Yeah been the big Browns fan since grade school. The Watson trade was bad, The Woods D. is a excellent scheme with a bad leader. KS’s scheme is run centric WCO is my favorite offensive scheme in football. His play calling and leadership haven’t produced.

AB is a good guy but a C+ GM when it comes to the draft. See 3 misses on defensive tackles thus far and 1 out of 3 in drafting LB’s, 1 out of 4 on WR’s thus far.

I so don’t want a clean sweep again. But thats where this train wreck is heading.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Yeah been the big Browns fan since grade school. The Watson trade was bad, The Woods D. is a excellent scheme with a bad leader. KS’s scheme is run centric WCO is my favorite offensive scheme in football. His play calling and leadership haven’t produced.
    AB is a good guy but a C+ GM when it comes to the draft. See 3 misses on defensive tackles thus far and 1 out of 3 in drafting LB’s, 1 out of 4 on WR’s thus far.
    I so don’t want a clean sweep again. But thats where this train wreck is heading.

Unfortunately I see this going the same way. No draft picks anytime soon, not a lot of trade capital, and it’s always tough to get free agents here… it’s going to be tough for any GM to improve this roster in the near future.

the dude
    Participant

Its really sad. I will miss this place. Thank you Jason for all of you efforts. I feel same way as all of you….

Funny, after 15+ years of debates with all of you, we all agree that this is really bad for the organization.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

I’ve given a lot of thought to this decision, I didn’t make it on a whim. I will miss you guys a lot, but in truth most of the discussion on this forum had already withered away. I’m not sure what caused us all to lose our excitement. For me trading all those picks for a guy with really bad morals was just the straw that broke the camels back. I was already becoming disenfranchised with the NFL a couple seasons ago when they decided to become political. Of course I have my political leanings, but I want to watch sports to get away from that garbage. Now political messages are on each player’s helmet and every endzone. To see the NFL completely infuse itself with politics (and to pick a side) takes away my reason for watching. If football is no longer an escape then why would I bother?

What I’m giving up is a chance to come together with you guys every Sunday and complain about a loss, or enjoy a rare victory, and to always disagree with Soup. But those days are gone. I don’t live chat or even post messages much after games. Shutting down the site is just unplugging the respirator on a patient who has been in a coma for years. I think it’s time. If you guys find another forum to post on, let me know and I’ll join and post once or twice a month. That’s about all the effort I’m willing to devote to the NFL these days.

the dude
    Participant

Sorry ice I really appreciate you. I understand where you are coming from. Will miss you dude and fuck soup.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

I will miss all you guys. We had a lot of laughs. From the Enviable Cockpit, to “Girls in the stands next to me asked me why I’m not playing”, to BOWWWLDEOGSSSISCOMINGGGGGGGG.

This place deserves a better sendoff than I’ve given it.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

I will miss all you guys. We had a lot of laughs. From the Enviable Cockpit, to “Girls in the stands next to me asked me why I’m not playing”, to BOWWWLDEOGSSSISCOMINGGGGGGGG.
    This place deserves a better sendoff than I’ve given it.

Then we’ve given it, my friend. You may have foot the bill here, but it was every one of us greasing the gears, both here and at Dawgbones–but hell at least we got a warning things were wrapping up this time!

I don’t do much social media outside of Discord. The Dirt#4613 if you ever decide to go looking, especially if you want to kick ass on some games (even hard to find cool MMO games).

But you said it Ice…I’m treating football much like everything else. If the shit stops making sense, stop trying to make it make sense. Move on to the things that do.

“Save the planet?! What kind of arrogant shit is that? We haven’t even figured out how to save ourselves yet!”

“The planet is fine. The people are fucked.”
    -George Carlin

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Almost forgot about this. Figured I’d leave it here for a laugh.

A friend of mine that I met on Dawgbones and I have kept in touch over the years. For the Jets game, he came out and brought his girlfriend. He told me that she doesn’t really know anything about football.

But during the game, she asked my friend, “How come they don’t just keep giving it to number 24?”

That’s how good Nick Chubb is.

the dude
    Participant

Fuck Joe Burrows. Go Browns!

Hue Jackson is a loser.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

Psst! We uh…we don’t seem to be gone, dudes.

the dude
    Participant

Yea baby I am back!

Hue Jackson is a loser.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

DawgSoldier
    Participant

Wheree soup when you neeed him. The Weather fucked buffalo and we are on to dtroit. Hey did he call Phil AGAIN? Or did he just bring the Thunder snow?

the dude
    Participant

Actually went up to the game since I am from Toledo. Lions have a nice stadium. Also, seem liked some more officiating shenanigans on Sunday. Line was 8…..

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

Well all I can say is I stopped paying the host and they gave me a cutoff date of early Nov.

BillWunkle
    Participant

Gentlemen, it’s been a pleasure. I’m also sorry to see that the website is getting unplugged at the end of the month. Special thanks to Jason Ice for asking me to write for his then fledgling website. I was honored to write for you guys; even if the posts have been markedly decreased over the past few years. And one final salute to Mr. Jim Giles, founder of dawgbones.com, who graciously put up with me during the early years. I will be forever indebted to you both for allowing me to exercise one of my passions in life. And to my colleagues . . . Shooter, Dawson, Hanford, DawgSoldier, CSU Dawg, GA Browns Fan, DPD, BF4L, MDP and even Soup: sometimes we agreed, sometimes we didn’t. But we all had one thing in common, we wanted what was best for our beloved Cleveland Browns. Merry Christmas to you all, and may God bless and keep you.

Am I going mad, or did the word THINK escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic landmass!

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

Deion Sanders makes it back to the NFL within five years, yes or no?

I’m asking because this is the only football question I have that matters in any way to me, and I have no idea why. Maybe just to see who keeps checking the site to see if it’s dead yet.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

You’re not the only won who keeps checking. LOL

As for Deon, I’ll say no. But only because I think/guess that if he succeeds at Colorado, maybe he goes to another college job, maybe in the SEC. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he did eventually end up in the NFL. All just speculation on my part.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

Man, maybe we should wager how long this site lasts into 2023…?!

DawgSoldier
    Participant

a little peek about me before ya go. Believe it or not. I wrote this in 10 the grade algebra class in 1st period.

the dude
    Participant

I kinda hope he says someone else can have it or run it… Hate to see it die.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

I kinda hope he says someone else can have it or run it… Hate to see it die.

Congratulations! BFT is now property of DTB until time stops. Or this site. I’m taking bets on which ends first.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

The site’s still going….so….

Who’s your preference for defensive coordinator? Mayo is out, so we’re looking at Schwartz, Flores and Desai–unless the team wants to bring somebody else into the mix. I think I want Schwartz.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

We can add Philly’s defensive pass game coordinator Dennard Wilson to the list.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

Flores is likely looking for bigger ink in Arizona, Mayo is unproven so you never know what to expect. Schwartz is the proven guy here–Id prefer Flores really, but either would be loads better than what we saw this season.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Schwartz it is.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

Damn Ice, I wonder how long this site would have lasted if you’d stopped paying on it like 2 years ago?

In other news, Joe Thomas is HOF-bound!

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Saints hired Joe Woods to be their DC. Good luck to him.

Shooter

I thought we were done here?

Why am I constantly lied to when it comes to things regarding this franchise lmao?

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Still here. BFT cannot be stopped!

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

The place that just won’t go away. Still Around but first time Ive logged on here in ages.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

LOL Site’s still up and running….

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

Well, might as well use it while we got it, boys.

DTR for president!

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

(Clearly an overreaction but–hey, I’m a Browns fan.)

GABrownsFan
    Participant

I second the nomination!

the dude
    Participant

Fuck dawgsoldier….lets go I third

Hue Jackson is a loser.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Another great showing from DTR…..

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

DTR should absolutely be in the discussion for backup to Watson. So far he’s outplayed everyone, except maybe Watson’s limited showing.

It’s hard to believe this dude fell to us in the fifth round!

GABrownsFan
    Participant

I’m surprised he fell that far. I was white-knuckling the last day of the draft because I wanted us to take him. I loved watching him play while he was with UCLA. Really, the only reason I’m into the preseason is to watch him. LOL

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

…I hate to say it, but I’m stuck in a fuckin’ loop between this team and this site. That and…it’s really, really difficult to not be excited about this team this year. Why do I (and let’s face it, probably *we*) do this every year? It’s like punching myself in the dick and expecting it to finally not hurt.

For the 25th or so time, I say this…it’s gonna be different this year!

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Browns 24, Bengals 3. I think that makes Stefanski 6-1 against Cincy. Great way to start the season!

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

Dude that defense was lights out. I might go as far as to say it’s the best I’ve seen for this team since ’99. Still, I’ve been wrong before (like one other time) so let’s see how we do in Shitsbirgh before I say something I regret.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

It was insane. I’m not getting my hopes up…..but it’s hard not to seeing this defense–especially compared to last year’s defense.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Sure glad we have a “superstar” QB now.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Looking like Nick is out for the year. Love that guy. Hope he heals up for next year.

the dude
    Participant

Mnf almost killed me

Hue Jackson is a loser.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Nice to see the team bounce back.
    Jim Schwartz is such an upgrade.
    Woods’s defense gave up 18 points in the last 11 minutes against Green Bay. Can’t say that I’m shocked.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

Schwartz was definitely the right man for the job. The D looks pretty damn good when the offense doesn’t turn the ball over multiple times a game. About the only bad thing that can be said is they don’t create enough turnovers (among the worst in the entire NFL).

…………………….

Stefanski still doesn’t know how to run a proper game plan. Taking a fifth round rookie QB in this first NFL start and having him throw 7 of the first 10 plays reeks of incompetence.

While I think the play calling is absurd and I’ve seen HS coaches call better plays, I do wonder why the play designs are so inferior to other teams.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Okay, this defense is nasty! I love it! Great win over SF!

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Never thought I’d see the day where we would be cheering for Joe Flacco!

Viewing 60 posts - 1 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar