The loss of Alex Mack is the reason we're losing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ice
    Keymaster

The problem isn’t the QB. That sounds weird coming from me because I always say the QB is the most important player in team sports. Yet in this season, with this offense, Alex Mack is the keystone.

Our offensive gameplan revolves around controlling the line of scrimmage on offense and pounding the opposing defense into submission with a powerful run game. Then we would supplement the run game with a stretching pass offense to punish them for crowding the line of scrimmage. It’s a system that was working well, until we lost Alex Mack. Once that happened our ability to control the line disintegrated. Want proof?

With Alex Mack we had 4.7 yards per rushing attempt, 137 rushing yards per game, and our offense scored 27 points per game. Without Mack we only had 3.5 yards per attempt, 78 rushing yards per game, and our team scored only 15.5 points per game (and that includes all the points the defense scored). Those changes are stunning. The loss of Mack cost us 12 points per game! That translates to 2 more wins and a playoff spot.

Alex Mack might just be the most important player on our team.

soup
    Participant

I agree in principle. The other things that happened is Shanahan lost his mind and became obsessed with passing the ball. The other key was when Gordon came back they removed Gabriel from the game – that hurt immensely. Gordon clearly didn’t understand the offense.

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

Like I said, the obsession with passing the ball is at least partially due to the lack of production running the ball.

durakbane
    Participant

The loss of Mack certainly had an impact that almost makes it obvious that he needs to be kept, BUT I think we had a weak first half schedule that made our offense look much better than it was. It was really once we got into the second half of the season that our flaws became obvious.

For the coaching staff, we need stability. Don’t get rid of any of them and try to keep them here. No QB is going to be successful if we swap out OCs and change systems. The defense can’t hit its stride if we convert every year.

Manziel and Gordon are bad news for this team. Does the influence of Dansby and Whitner impact the locker room on the offense? Sounds like Joe Thomas is getting fed up. Until our team can handle its own business (off the field) we cannot afford to have ‘character issue’ players.

I’d retain Hoyer (at the right price) and look for a franchise QB (you know..one that really is one instead of a 28 yr old rookie or a frat boy) in the draft. The front office has GOT TO GET THIS RIGHT.

I like some of our WRs not named Gordon.

Our running backs will be fine, plus replacements can be found fairly easily in this new era of running back by committee and increased emphasis on passing.

Gilbert will be a bust. Skrine will get over paid somewhere else. In other words, we will need help at CB.

I suspect we will lose a lineman and linebacker or two this off season. Sheard and Rubin seem like the most likely. We’ll need replacments there as well.

We are not heading in the right direction…yet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar