Watson to the Browns

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

It is being reported that Deshaun Watson will waive his no trade clause and come to the Cleveland Browns. He is going to have a 5 years $230M contract. Now just need to finalize the trade. A lot of money but that will help pay the civil lawsuits coming up. Damn.

Thoughts?

Ice
    Keymaster

My jaw. On the floor.

Guess I get to spend an afternoon reading the allegations against Watson.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

This fucking sucks.

Ice
    Keymaster

$230m ALL GUARANTEED over 5, and we give them three 1st rounders, a third, and maybe a 5th.

The good news is that maybe Baker will get us that 3rd or 5th back.

Edit: NFLN reporting that they are sending us a 2023 4th, we’re sending them our next three 1sts, our 2023 3rd and 2024 4th.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

It was a good run, but I don’t know how I can cheer for an unrepentant sexual predator, and those three first rounders are going to tank us

DawgSoldier
    Participant

It was a good run, but I don’t know how I can cheer for an unrepentant sexual predator, and those three first rounders are going to tank us

Thats a bit harsh. These women saw a pay day but didn’t have any evidence other than a he said she said that he got handsy with hot female massueses spme who also did adult entertainers as well. There are no allegations of rape. Bottom line the grand jury saw insufficent evidence to even indite him. Also about a third of his accusers showed to make statements. I mean you accuse a guy of this but don’t have time to show up to testify?

http://cloudassetserver.com/STL/posts/185/sp_04_976x0.jpg

Ice
    Keymaster

Glad someone has been following this. I nominate DS as new general counsel of BFT, reporting on all lawsuits. Please keep us informed.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

I am torn. A lot of allegations were made yet there isn’t enough evidence to even send it to jury. This definitely doesn’t mean nothing happened but the fact of this is none of us will ever know the complete truth.

We gave up a 2022, 2023 and 2024 first round picks. If things go well, the 2023 and 2024 first rounders will in the 20s. We also gave up a 2023 third rounder and a 2024 fourth rounder while receiving a 2024 fifth rounder. That is a hell of a lot to give up even though he is a huge upgrade. A five year $230 million fully guaranteed contract is something I never thought the Browns would do.

I’ve seen some people talk about the morality of it all and we each have to make our own decision about how this effects our fandom. I am not going to knock anyone for the decision they make.

In my opinion, Watson is a major upgrade. I hope it works out.

Go Browns.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Via RAINN, the largest anti-sexual violence group in the country, of every 1,000 cases of sexual assault, only 310 are reported to police, and of those, only 50 lead to an arrest, and 28 of those end in a conviction. Add in a famous, multi millionaire athlete and those numbers are probably significantly lower. The victims have to relive their traumas everyday in court, and in these cases would likely have their names go public, potentially ruining their professional careers as well as subjecting them to harassment from sports fans (and by that I don’t mean anyone in this room, who are all of high esteem. I mean the same crowd who send Baker’s wife death threats after a loss. I can’t even peep at Browns Twitter, I’ll bet it’s terrifying right now).

Here’s a really long, detailed, and impeccably researched article, a great starting point to make your own judgement.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/21/new-information-proper-context-for-deshaun-watson-sexual-misconduct-lawsuits-daily-cover

Ice
    Keymaster

I’ve seen some people talk about the morality of it all and we each have to make our own decision about how this effects our fandom. I am not going to knock anyone for the decision they make.

That’s well said.

MDP, I skimmed that article. I’ll have to sit down and read it all some other time.

Basically the allegations are that he sexually assaulted 2 women, exposed himself to 21 of them, and inflicted emotional distress on all 22 by propositioning them.

Him propositioning LMT’s: It’s a very ugly part of the profession and I imagine any female LMT might have to deal with it at some point. Same with models and Hooters waitresses. I’m not excusing it, it’s vile. But that doesn’t mean he should go to jail. Same with exposing himself. It makes him a creep. Every single one of those women should have immediately walked out of the room and insisted the massage was over and never contacted him again, then reached out to their LMT community and warned them. But some of them wanted to use his status as an NFL player to try to get more clients and decided to put up with the harassment. Those don’t get to go back and claim emotional distress IMO.

The sexual assaults really concern me. 2 women claim he forced them into giving oral sex. That’s RAPE.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

The allegations definitely concern me regardless of the fact that there wasn’t enough evidence to indict him. It doesn’t mean he is innocent.

He won’t be going to jail or even to a criminal trial. He still has the civil lawsuits.

Because of his base salary the first year, when the NFL does finally suspend him, he will lose $57,000 per game. The Browns really did him a favor in that regard. This doesn’t even take into account the fully guaranteed contract.

the dude
    Participant

Ds posts plenty of garbage at obr. He was a proven racist and sexist on the other forum.

I would be very careful with the propaganda that is coming from his posts.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

I don’t care what he posts somewhere else, this is my stupid little sandbox and anything that happens outside of it is someone else’s problem. No one on this site is ‘vetted’ or ‘verified’. My recommendation is that everyone make up your own mind.

No such thing as news any more these days. It’s all propaganda.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

I don’t care what he posts somewhere else, this is my stupid little sandbox and anything that happens outside of it is someone else’s problem. No one on this site is ‘vetted’ or ‘verified’. My recommendation is that everyone make up your own mind.
    No such thing as news any more these days. It’s all propaganda.

Exactly

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar