Welcome to the Shit Show

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

We’re officially all the way back to the Browns.

To recap: we’re looking at doing an expensive trade to get Deshaun Watson, who’s wildly unpopular and had been accused by 22 women of various forms of sexual misconduct.

Deshaun Watson allegedly does not want to playin a cold weather city and has a no-trade clause. We’re not getting Watson.

Pursuing Watson has upset Baker Mayfield, mostly because he was already told he would be the week one starter.

So, right now we’re looking at not getting Watson, and Mayfield refusing to play for us. If we’re forced to trade him, his stock has never been lower thanks an injury riddled season with poor performances. And OBJ’s dad video editing.

Meanwhile we just cut Landry and Tretter to save cap space, but it doesn’t look like there’s going to be anybody we really need to use that cap space on.

All the way back.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

These moves have Haslam’s fingerprints all over them. We had an off year because of a pandemic and an assload of injuries, but now we’re just making panic moves and ruining the core of a solid franchise which had taken years to build up. Cutting Tretter was complete idiocy, our entire offense is built between the tackles.

If they trade for Watson, I think that’s probably the last straw for me as a fan.

Ice
    Keymaster

All I can do is keep telling myself to judge by what’s on the field come September, not the moves they’re making now.

Landry was a f-ing warrior for us. I think without him our run game will really suffer. You read that right, our RUN game. I can’t tell you how many 3 yard runs turned into 20 yard runs because Landry blew up a safety. Plus his short-mid passing routes kept the LB’s honest and off the line.

Tretter I actually understand. He’s great, but he’s getting old and we didn’t draft Harris for nothing. Harris filled in well IIRC when Tretter was injured; well enough that I didn’t really notice a difference. It’s a HUGE salary difference.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

Austin Hooper is now reportedly being released as well. I assumed this was coming the moment we tagged Njoku. Still sucks.

FYI, I do agree with letting these 3 go. I love them, but they weren’t playing up to their contracts. It makes sense to try to get more out of your money.

I just don’t, at the moment, see the overall plan. And the Watson/Baker situation is in a tailspin.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

Releasing Landry doesn’t feel good because he helped to start to change the culture even though we have had only 1 winning season in the last 4. He definitely gave it his all. Last year was a horrible year for him and the team. I wish he would have renegotiated his contract and stayed but it wasn’t meant to be. Swartz and Peoples-Jones need to step up in a big way and having a true number one receiver in Cooper should help.

Releasing Hooper is the easiest move of the off season. His production never matched his salary and Njoku is way better.

Losing Tretter was a money decision, much like Landry. In this case, Nick Harris is ready to take over and comes much cheaper.

There shouldn’t be anyone who doesn’t think Watson is an upgrade over Mayfield although Watson is going to be suspended by the NFL and my guess is that it will be 4 games. Any team trading for him needs to realize that too.

Watson wants to win and that may trump the cold weather. The Browns are positioned to do that. If Watson wasn’t at all interested, he could have just said no to meeting with the Browns.

While giving up 3 first rounders and paying him $35M a year seems like a lot, it is really 2 first rounders and Mayfield (who Houston reportedly doesn’t want but will still fetch a first rounder from another team).

In the even that the Browns don’t acquire Watson, is it possible for Mayfield to stay with the Browns after all this. Sure it is possible but IMO unlikely. The Browns would then trade him for a first rounder and in the draft they would be able to draft a rookie QB and rookie WR (if they choose to do so).

I wouldn’t call it a shit show and I am not sure how it could have been handled any better.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

I don’t think anybody, ANYBODY, has a problem with the compensation they’re talking about for the talent upgrade Watson would be over Baker.

It 100% comes down to the off-field stuff. Which is 22 accusations of sexual misconduct. It’s tough to support a guy like that. I haven’t looked into it enough to know all the details, but I know it’s enough that I’d rather have Baker over Watson.

Now, add in that we’re almost certainly not getting Watson, and we’re going to lose Baker in the process, I don’t know how you can call it anything but a shit show.

the dude
    Participant

If the Browns get Watson, I will stop watching.

If I was a stealers fan, I would have stopped watching too.

Before anyone says but what about hunt. Hunt barely touched someone, was drunk, and called the n word. He is not a sexual predator.

This would destroy me as a fan and would make KY Sunday afternoons free in the fall.

Also, as bad a baker sucks, I would rather watch him suck than root for a criminal who prays on women.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

^100% agree with Dude.

If the reports from Mortenson that the Browns said “they need an adult at QB” while pursuing Watson are true, that’s absolutely disgusting.

Ice
    Keymaster

I don’t know enough about Watson’s problems to know whether I hate him or not. I guess if we sign him then I’m gonna have to read the allegations, which doesn’t sound like a fun way to spend an afternoon.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

I don’t know enough about Watson’s problems to know whether I hate him or not. I guess if we sign him then I’m gonna have to read the allegations, which doesn’t sound like a fun way to spend an afternoon.

There’s 22 of them, so make sure you have a full afternoon off. And his lawyer basically admitted they’re true.

Ice
    Keymaster

Looks like we’re out of the Watson sweepstakes according to PFT.

Fine by me.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Hopefully the front office likes Kirk Cousins as a starter.

Ice
    Keymaster

Not exactly artfully done, was it.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Not exactly artfully done, was it.

As good as our front office is at finding talented players, they don’t seem to be very good at managing them once they’re here. They seem to have smoothed things over with Njoku, which is a good sign, but I get the vibe that our personnel office are just a bunch of number crunching robots who don’t know how to talk to humans.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

There were / are twenty-two allegations and still there isn’t enough evidence to go to trial let alone get a conviction. While it doesn’t mean he isn’t guilty, it does say a lot.

I don’t really care about all the rumors flying around. It makes for a fun read and is click worthy but it doesn’t mean I believe a single one of them.

The Browns are going to try and trade for a QB and if that happens, then Mayfield will be traded. While I do think he is a good QB when healthy, I haven’t seen that fourth quarter magic from him. While he does have six fourth quarter comebacks plus one game winning drive, four of them came in 2018, his rookie year. Last year (yes I know he was injured), he was a mess in the fourth quarter. He had a lot of turnovers and made some horrendous decisions. Was that an aberration or is that who he is? Time will tell.

What this means to me is that I am not sold on Baker Mayfield being a great QB. He could still win a SB but he isn’t in the same league as the top tier QBs.

Just my opinion.

No matter what, Go Browns.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

So the Browns told Mayfield’s agents that they would be pursuing a top tier QB and that could eventually include Watson. I guess he expected to be told everything they were doing which I don’t think is necessary.

ESPN article

What are your thoughts? Should they have informed him they were flying to Houston? Why or why not?

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

So the Browns told Mayfield’s agents that they would be pursuing a top tier QB and that could eventually include Watson. I guess he expected to be told everything they were doing which I don’t think is necessary.
    ESPN article
    What are your thoughts? Should they have informed him they were flying to Houston? Why or why not?

So, this is exactly the way every media outlet is reporting it. They’re clearly reporting what Cleveland wants them to report, because they’re leaving out:

Cleveland’s front office said the wanted to move on from Baker EVEN IF they couldn’t get Watson.

Cleveland’s front office said they wanted “an adult” at the position (implying Baker is not one).

Those 2 things, I believe, are the major reasons why Baker is requesting a trade. They literally shit on Baker while they were interviewing Watson, then spun it like Baker was just upset that they were interviewing Watson, ignoring that they shit on him in the process.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

Well, I remember hearing that same thing during the combine so I tend to believe it.

Also it is being reported that Watson has waived his no trade clause and is coming to Cleveland once the trade is finalized. $230M for five years.

Bye bye Baker.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar