What are our biggest positions of need?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ice
    Keymaster

Sound off.

Of course QB is a problem, but after we get rid of Gordon WR is going to be a big issue too. Also we need a return man badly.

the dude
    Participant

QB is the number 1 focus hands down. WR should be number 2 & 3. I know some here think that Hawkins, Benjamin, Gabriel can all play…..but they are not good enough IMO. None have magical hands and lack the height to go up for a ball. Also, I feel this has been one of the more weak years at Tight End. I wouldn’t be opposed to using a first rounder on a tight end if we can find one who can hold a block and go up and get a ball.

On the defensive side of the ball OLB did wear thin this year and should also be addressed. Also, we did run thin at CB, but I don’t know if this is one we really have to worry about.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

I know some here think that Hawkins, Benjamin, Gabriel can all play…..but they are not good enough IMO.

Don’t count me with them. I love Hawkins and Gabriel showed some potential but neither of them are good enough to be at the top of a depth chart. Ideally Hawkins would be a slot guy and Gabriel would be a 4th WR and work his way up. It would have worked ok this season if we had Gordon all year and if Cameron wasn’t injured all the time, but we’ll likely be without both of them next year and I wouldn’t count on 16 games from them anyways.

I have no use for Benjamin anymore. Yeah he runs fast but he plays scared. He needs to be replaced IMO.

BillWunkle
    Participant

1 – This team needs a LEGITIMATE starting QB or it will go NOWHERE. Brian Hoyer is a good backup in this league – likely for some team other than the Browns if Johnny Manziel remains in Cleveland.
    2 – #1 and #2 WR. Josh Gordon has seen the handwriting on the wall and will be gone as soon as the Browns can get ANYTHING of value for him.
    3 – Starting RT and two other players for depth that can challenge for starting O-line spot at any given Sunday. The loss of Alex Mack showed how the Browns are lacking in quality O-line depth.

Am I going mad, or did the word THINK escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic landmass!

Ice
    Keymaster

@billwunkle do you think we have a greater need at RT or RG? I’d like to upgrade both positions but assume we can only address one, which do you pick? It’s a tough decision because RT is a more important position, but I’d say we have a bigger talent deficit at RG.

Despite what I’ve said about how this team went to crap after Mack went down, and despite everything we’ve learned from this season, backup center is not near the top of my list. Mack played every possible snap since we drafted him. The only thing that took him out is someone damn near snapping his leg off in a freak injury. And as he was riding that cart off the field waving to the fans, did you see the look on his face? The dude looked seriously annoyed. Not in agony, not crying with a towel over his head, he looked peeved that he had to stop playing. He broke his fibula, the 3rd largest bone in the body and an excruciating injury. Mack is tough as nails. I’d be willing to bet that he doesn’t miss another snap for the rest of his career. Knock on wood.

the dude
    Participant

I didn’t realize Mack broke his Fibula – this may be a real big concern. This is a real tough injury to come back from if at all.

I think we should really look at finding ourselves a mid range right tackle and put him at guard. I look at what the Colts did with Mewhort this year and how it really improved the line.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

I didn’t realize Mack broke his Fibula – this may be a real big concern. This is a real tough injury to come back from if at all.

I’m not worried for 4 reasons.
    1) The fibula is a non-weight-bearing bone.
    2) Many bone breaks, if given time to heal properly, heal stronger than the bone was in the first place
    3) It’s Alex Mack, tough summabich
    4) There was talk that he may have been able to play if we had made it to the playoffs.

BillWunkle
    Participant

At least RT needs to be addressed. I think we could get by for another year with Greco at RG, but if they can upgrade the position and make Greco the swing man, that’ll be fine with me. If the RT position is upgraded, then perhaps Schwartz would work out at RG.

Am I going mad, or did the word THINK escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic landmass!

Ice
    Keymaster

At least RT needs to be addressed. I think we could get by for another year with Greco at RG, but if they can upgrade the position and make Greco the swing man, that’ll be fine with me. If the RT position is upgraded, then perhaps Schwartz would work out at RG.

Personally I’d rather upgrade RG. If we could clone Bitonio on the right side our running game would be NASTY. Plus putting a solid guard next to Schwartz might help him do a better job at RT. If we do draft a RT I wouldn’t mind trying Schwartz inside. His biggest weakness seemed to be his lack of speed so he might excel at the RG role.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar